Chapter 13 - Sofia's Departure

Sofia tumbled back into the house, dumbstruck.

Her aunt and uncle were nowhere to be seen yet, but she could hear Aunt Sybil stirring in her room. Sofia sat down at the kitchen table. She propped her head on her fists and stared into the room.

What had just happened?

Orì had been taken by men, or by some kinds of beings that had been there and not been there at the same time. They had grabbed Orì even though they had appeared see-through, unsolid, like appearances or phantoms. And yet Orì had been unable to wring herself free of them.

And Orì had begged Sofia to help her. But what could she do?

Should she ask Aunt Sybil for help? Sofia knew how that would go. Her aunt would scold her for still seeing Orì, and then she would say that the problem had solved itself with her abduction. She would say that the business of Nihon had nothing to do with them, and that was the way it would be.

Uncle Tomas would be no help at all, and Sofia couldn't imagine Sermon or Mr Borrealis to be helpful in this kind of situation, no matter how kind they were, and no matter how much they loved her. All they would do would be to try to console her and tell her to take her mind off it.

As if that was possible!

They could keep their comforting words, Sofia thought, suddenly angry, and their scolding too, and their superiority! She had never had a friend like Orì, and if she asked for her help, she would help her!

Sofia clenched her fists in determination, satisfied with her decision.

Then she realized that she had no idea what that decision entailed. She had no idea what had happened, where Orì was, and what she had meant when she had asked her to Help Me. Sofia descended into desperation, not even noticing Aunt Sybil entering the kitchen.

"What are you doing up, Sofia?"

Sofia shot around.

Aunt Sybil was standing in the door, still pale from the night. A deep frown creased her forehead.

"I couldn't sleep," Sofia muttered.

"That is no reason to get up," Aunt Sybil said. "You should stay in bed until the morning breaks. You need to learn routines, Sofia, and don't sit there with idle hands. Make a fire, if you're up already."

"Yes, Aunt Sybil," Sofia said through gritted teeth.

She hated her aunt at that moment. She looked at her as she busied herself in the kitchen, putting the coffee beans through the grinder, following her everyday routine as if she had no mind of her own. Suddenly, Sofia felt like she could not stay in this house for a second longer, nor in this village, nor even on this side of the world.

Quickly, she got up and started the kindling in the fireplace. Her arms felt heavy, and her whole body seemed to have trouble following orders. It took a few clumsy attempts before the fire started to burn.

"I'll go wash up," Sofia said, without turning back towards her aunt.

"Don't be long," Aunt Sybil replied. "You have a lot of studying to do."

"Yes, Aunt Sybil."

She washed quickly and got dressed. Then she went to her room and looked around. What should she take? What would she even need?

From under her bed, she took a leather bag that Sermon had once given her as a reminder of his first travel. At the time he had said, "this is for when we'll go travelling together," but even then Sofia had seen in Aunt Sybil's face that this would never happen. Still, she had always cherished the gift.