Chapter 7 ["Battle, Start!"]

————

"They're really.. Invested with each other." Mina commented, watching the two boys across the cafeteria. Momo fidgeted, feeling as if she were intruding- especially when Bakugou tipped his head back to cover a laugh.

"It's weird right? Bakugou being closed off, and then suddenly- that green cutie shows up and he acts all friendly." Toruu perked up, clapping her hands together, "Maybe they used to know each other!"

"Friends from the past?"

"I guess?" Izuku cupped Katsuki's face, grinning widely as he bumped their foreheads together in a gesture much more intimate. Their eyes widened in surprise. "I mean, from the looks of it- maybe more than that?"

"Um.. A relationship?" Jirou's voice was shy, as if not used to the word, and Mina smacked her fist against her palm, grinning brightly. "That must be it!"

The concept of same-sex couples were foreign, but not unwelcome. Yaoyoruzo was already introduced to the idea early on by her parents, teaching her about being accepting about these kinds of things, so she was confident she was educated enough to understand.

She looked around the table, and to her surprise, no one seemed to be disgusted with the idea- only pondering. "I'll ask!" Mina piped up again, an excited grin stretching on her face as she shot up. "W-wait, Mina!" Momo tugged her uniform, pulling her down quickly. "Don't you think we should.. Wait? I think it'll make a bad impression if that's the first thing you ask- let alone how you introduce yourself. Be patient. We don't want to seem like we're breaching their privacy!"

"And we aren't supposed to even be spying on them!" Tooru nodded, understanding, and Mina pouted but complied to Momo's relief.

————

"Alright, all of you. Find a partner." Aizawa scratched his stubble, eyeing his students, bored. As expected, the girls banded together, and the boys drawn to whoever they introduced themselves to on the first day.

Kaminari predictably paired with Kirishima, as did Tsuyu and Uraraka Ochako. Iida Tenya, one of the problem children, stiffly asked Shoji to be with him. Shoji nodded, tagging along with him.

He eyed Midoriya Izuku, a surprised brow rising as he bumped shoulders with 'the' Bakugou Katsuki, and instead of being berated, was bumped back and taken by the arm. Katsuki grinned, sharp and dark, while Izuku in contrast smiled softly as the previously mentioned boy ruffled his green mop of hair.

"Kacchan!" The boy snickered as Katsuki roughly squeezed his cheeks. Aizawa almost found this.. Endearing. And strange, because this is the only time he has seen Bakugou smile- let alone be close with someone, someone who had a childish nickname for him.

"You're too cute, Deku." Bakugou remarked, as if defeated, letting go of Midoriya's cheeks, who rubbed them with chagrin and playful annoyance.

Aizawa realized how their dynamics- although complete opposite from one another, balanced each other out. Loud, irrational, prideful- contrast to shy, quiet and meek- it was like they were two different puzzle pieces, with edges cut just so they could forcibly fit together.

Aizawa lifted his head. Maybe this exercise will be different after all.

————

"Team v-versus!?"

They all yelled. Aizawa kneaded his temples, frustrated. "If any of you have any complaints, I will personally kick you out of this exercise, ground Beta, and U.A.'s gates. Understand?"

That got them to shut up, but Ashido and Kaminari looked pretty down. Meanwhile, the two most problematic children grinned excitedly, with Bakugou's arm around his waist.