Chapter 10 ["Eyes On Me"]

————

"Kacchan?"

There he goes again, turning the corner. Izuku hurries to catch up.

"Kacchan?"

He calls out again, only to be ignored. Kirishima's hand was on Katsuki's shoulder, and he was talking, grin stretching so wide and bright. Katsuki doesn't push the hand away.

(It's not fair. Kacchan's been avoiding him. So why does Kirishima..?)

Izuku tries once more, reaching out. "Kacchan?"

The smack on his hand hurts more than it should've. "Don't." Katsuki hisses, facing him. His eyes were dark, wary. "Don't touch me." Izuku's eyes widen as his heat hammers in his chest.

Was it his fault? What did he do? Oh no, Kacchan was mad, so mad, and it was his fault. Izuku flinched, cupping the hand Katsuki had hit.

(He feels nauseous.)

"I-.. Okay. Could we talk, Kacchan? Please?" Izuku mutters, tears threatening to fall.

(What.. What did he do?

In the back of his mind, voice whispers that it's all his fault. All his fault once again.)

Kirishima nudges Katsuki, gesturing to Izuku, as if to say 'hey, it's your buddy, your friend, come on, talk to him'.

But Katsuki doesn't. So he curls his lips into a snarl.

"Leave me alone."

The hurt that flashes across Izuku's face was sickening.

————

"Hey."

Izuku jolts, and for a fraction of a second, he thought it was Katsuki.

He was wrong, of course. He always was.

(Disgusting. Vile. It makes his skin crawl. How selfish, Izuku.)

It was a girl, soft brown hair and rosy pink cheeks, eyes peeking at him curiously, in her hands a tray. Oh.

"Can I sit here?" Izuku nods, hesitantly, lips pursed and quiet. Ochako doesn't mind the silence, and she slides in front of Izuku with a big smile. "Deku, right? That's what Bakugou calls you."

It was supposed to be an endearing name from Kacchan, but now it brought guilt and it sounded similar to useless that Izuku shook his head quickly and gave a wry smile. "It's Izuku, actually. Izuku Midoriya."

Ochako hums, a small but genuine smile on her lips. "I'm Ochako Uraraka. Your moves are pretty cool!"

Although Izuku was visually uncomfortable, they manage to slip into a conversation.

(And even it was for a moment, Izuku forgot about Kacchan.)
————

"You're staring at him a lot." Kirishima remarks, sipping at his apple juice as Katsuki growls. "Fuck off."

"Are you hanging with me 'cause you guys had a fight or somethin'?"

Katsuki shakes his head in spite of himself. He hated the kiss. He- hates- it. So why does it feel like butterflies in his stomach?

And oh, Izuku's face was Katsuki snapped at him made him almost want to lash out. Hurt someone.

Hurt Izuku.

Katsuki shuddered at the thought. No. Never. He'll never..

(He may be a monster, but he'll never lay a finger on Izuku.)

"-gou, Bakugou!" Kirishima taps his shoulder, brows furrowed. Katsuki looks at him. "You spaced out for a sec there bud." Kirishima glances at Izuku, who was talking with Uraraka, a small smile dancing on his lips- and for the first time, it wasn't directed at Bakugou.

"Talk to him. You should talk to him." Kirishima advices, lightly, picking up his empty tray with a grin.

Katsuki doesn't want to. Doesn't want to take a stranger's advice. He hates Kirishima for it.

But he hates the fact that he was right even more.