Chapter 16 [Discovery]

Midoriya Inko

(2/2)

—————

"Izuku?"

The whisper carried through the door, her already soft voice muffled by the wood.

"Izuku, honey?" She repeated upon not receiving a response, anxiously shuffling her feet, ear pressed on the surface of the entrance.

After a few seconds of unnerving silence, he answers her.

"Mom.."

Her heart breaks at the sound of his voice, scratchy and utterly broken, teeth digging into her lower lip, before she inhales, trying to get the courage to take a risk.

"Can you.. Can you come out, baby? Um, we can walk in the park." It was a miracle she didn't stutter too much, yet she wasn't able to hide the nervousness seeping into her tone. "Please?"

Shuffling was heard, before a quiet 'okay' follows.

————

They sat in silence.

The sandbox Kacchan and he used to play in seemed smaller than before, he dully notes. So do the monkey bars they used to cling onto.

"Izuku.."

"I'll be fine, mom." He smiles, although it seemed to not hide the bitterness in his tone, nor the defeated air around him.

He can't look at her.

At least, not right now- he was busy trying to pick up his own pieces.

Now..

What.. what was left for him?

Izuku's lower lip trembles.

What will happen now?

Fear clings at his throat, squeezing the air out of him. Kacchan will.. surely leave.

The thought almost sends him into a spiral- until a warm hand rests on his shoulder, and he looks up, eyes wet, to see his mother looking at him, eyes soft with all the love she can give.

"I.. I know that this is about Katsuki."

Izuku tenses.

"I may not be the best person for this but," she hesitates, but a tentative smile slips on her face. "I want to be there for you."

(Because despite it all,

Izuku had always came first for her.)

————

"Katsuki.."

"I fuckin' KNOW I fucked up! Shit!"

Katsuki slams his hands on the desk, making his mother's face pull into a frown- and yet, she didn't say anything.

He needed her to yell. Ground him. Get into a fucking screaming match with him- because he wanted to occupy his mind that kept wandering to Izuku's broken expression, how small he looked, how he shrunk into himself and-

Oh.

He did that.

He hurt him again.

Katsuki screams, feels his throat dry, as his parents watch on, allowing him to destroy their living room.

Why..

"Why?.." He whispers, hoarse, as his knees buckle- because now once all the rage, the anger towards himself slipped away, it left an empty cavity in his chest.

"You done throwing a tantrum brat?"

Mitsuki stands over him, arms crossed, looking down at her son.

Her poor, pitiful son-

"Fuck off," he mutters, exhaustion crawling in his system. He..

He misses Izuku.

"Katsuki."

"..."

"Katsuki, look at me."

".. Fine." And he does.

Mitsuki's expression was soft, yet firm, promise laying in her voice.

"You're going to fix this,"

Katsuki grunts.

"And we'll help you every step of the way."

————