Chapter 8 ["Wreck"]

————

"Start."

Todoroki sailed through the air, quick on his feet, Tenya right behind him before they both parted to deliver brutal side kicks towards Izuku and Katsuki.

Izuku got his arm ('it was scarred', Aizawa noted. It looked like it hadn't been healed well.) to block Tenya's assault- but instead of taking the full force of the hit, he deflected it to the side and grabbed his ankle and yanking.

Aizawa raised an eyebrow- but he could let that gesture slip, considering he didn't really specify to use traditional moves of whatever martial art category they had practiced.

Iida's eyes widened for a fraction before he twisted in midair, gritting his teeth- before.. Izuku smiled, something in his eyes darker, heavier, something cold, and Tenya flinched, distracted. Shouta watched as Midoriya slammed Tenya's stomach with his fist with no hesitance, and the taller boy let out a winded grunt, face red from exertion.

Meanwhile, Katsuki grinned dangerously, grabbing the half and half bastard's face with his hand, dodging a fist before he tried landing a front kick. "Gotta be better than that, bastard," Katsuki snarled as Shoto spun and landed a heavy kick on his back wordlessly.

Bakugou stumbled forward, and Todoroki grabbed him by his neck- a big mistake, because Katsuki held his body weight down and slipped under, kicking Shoto's legs out and making the bastard loose his balance, eyes suddenly wide as his legs fall beneath him.

Iida wasn't doing any better. He had backed up from Izuku, who was dangerously low on the ground- and Shouta was suddenly reminded of the student's picture.

(Izuku seemed to thrive in battle.

It was a.. Dangerous thing to have.)

Iida stumbled. Midoriya was.. Unrelenting. No hesitance. No stopping. It was like he was moving in a fluid motion, even when Tenya changed his own pattern, forcing Izuku to adapt. He thought it would throw him off balance but..

Izuku's face remained neutral.

(Shouta felt goosebumps trail up his spine.

It was wrong.)

Katsuki suddenly flew, by a heavy kick apparently, and Izuku's eyes widened and Iida took his chance while he was distracted.

Now..!

Tenya threw a heavy kick, gritting his teeth. It was heading for Izuku's temple, one hit will knock Izuku out and he will win, he'll win and..!

It was as if everything had slowed down.

Midoriya's eyes suddenly snapped to him.

(Fear was something ugly to have.

And unfortunately, Tenya had fallen into the trap.)

It was a blur, all of it.

Until Izuku took the hit straight on, a sickening crunch, and Tenya's leg was met with blinding pain, a howl ripping from his throat as he slammed on the ground hard.

Izuku stared at him, before his eyes landed on Shouto and Katsuki.

Katsuki's eyes were wide, leg raised up mid kick, and Shouto's arm high, caught in a guard.

A sharp whistle made them all snap out of it.

"Midoriya. Step away from Iida."

His leg useless by his side, blood bleeding through the U.A. school fabric.

"Oh." Izuku stepped away, confused. What had he done wrong? Iida was hurt, but a little bruising was fine, right? He could go on. He should be able to.

("They're weak," a voice in his mind urged. "They're too weak."

Izuku hummed, pensive.)

He was unaware at the terrified stares behind his back.

————

"Eat up. Okay Deku?" Katsuki shoved a Katsudon bowl to Izuku, claiming the seat in front of him.

"Kacchan! Ah! Thank you!" Izuku accepted the bowl, hungrily licking his lips at the smell of food. Katsuki dug into his bowl, dumping a lot of hot sauce before digging in and tearing the meat apart.

Izuku smiled, the familiar flutter in his chest returned.

(It was strange. What was it..? Izuku only tugged at his collar, unsure.)

Katsuki had dragged him to a local diner, which apparently sold the best food. Izuku trusted his judgement considering how much of a critic he could be.

Izuku was thoughtful as he sunk his teeth into the pork, lashed fluttering as the taste enveloped his tongue, and he found himself munching happily, bite after bite, only stopping to sip a bit of water. It was really good..!

".. Oi. Saw what happened a while ago." Katsuki muttered, pushing his empty bowl away, wiping his mouth. He leaned back. "Four-eyes got his leg fucked- but Recovery Girl fixed it. You probably wanted to know," Bakugou raised an eyebrow. "Right?"

"Mm.." Izuku thought about it.

Iida.. His leg? Ah. Right.

(He felt apathetic, about that matter.

After all, how would Iida survive? It's cutthroat out there. Izuku simply decided to cut loose treads.)

".. I hope he's okay." He said in finality, the tone bland and bored. Iida was boring.

".. Deku." Katsuki furrowed his brows. "... You don't feel bad, do you?"

Izuku's gaze lowered, stilling. ".. Is that a bad thing?" He murmured, quietly, and Katsuki sipped on his soda, hand running on Izuku's.

".. No," Bakugou decided. "I suppose not."

(He was lying, but.. It wasn't Deku's fault. Besides, he didn't regret it, not when Izuku's face lit up, a wobbly smile on his face.)

"Ah.. Thank you Kacchan."