a fast walk towards a fresh start

So, I took my dad's advice and I've been to see someone, he knows a few people through his job, it wasn't too difficult to get me an appointment and actually I think that maybe it's helping

He suggested that I take up some form of exercise, apparently, it releases endorphins and makes you feel on top of the world.

And it'll help me get fit too, so everyone's a winner.

I've decided that I'm gonna take up jogging, I've even got all the right kit to show how serious I am; Sports Direct had one of their 70% off sales, so I'm quids in really.

Yeah, so I've given up the jogging, it was a bad idea.

Bumped into Ben this morning and when I say I bumped into him, I mean I quite literally bumped into the twat. He was crouched down tieing his shoelace in the park, I didn't see him and then he stood up and I ran straight into his back — I went flying, he didn't even budge, the fat prick.

I grazed my hands, and bruised my arse as well as my ego; I even had to take up his offer of helping me up.

Aaron's not talking to me, it's because I've handed in my notice and I'm leaving the salon, for real this time, I've got a new job

It's not as if I don't like working for him, of course, I do, he's my best friend, I suppose I got caught up in all that new year, new me stuff people are always going on about. I mean I took up the jogging and then I'd read my star signs and Leroy had said a change was coming. Now, I didn't know what change he meant because in the last year I'd already been through a lot of changes.

But then I thought that Leroy was probably talking about a change in jobs, the more I thought about it, the more it made sense.

I was only sixteen when I first started working in the salon, that seemed like a lifetime ago, things were different now, and I was a different person. And that's the thing though isn't it; people change, everything changes, nothing can stay the same forever. In a weird sort of way that's what helped me to accept that Ben had dumped me and moved on. Maybe what he'd said about it being him and not me wasn't a lie - he'd just gone through the change before I had. But now I'd done the same; I was done with being a caterpillar, it was now time for me to be a butterfly.

I needed to spread my wings and go off into the world. I needed to experience life and different things and meet new people.

The job had been advertised in the local newspaper; it was in a small office across town, they were looking for someone to help out with the admin stuff in the accounts department. It said they were looking for someone with experience, and despite the fact that I didn't have what they wanted I applied anyway. I mean how difficult can it be to shuffle a few pieces of paper and use a calculator?

Okay, so if you looked at my GCSE's results, you'd be forgiven for thinking that maybe I was a bit thick, but that's not true at all, it was a difficult time for me back then. I'm not as stupid as some people think I am, but I knew that with a CV like mine I wouldn't even stand a chance, so I did what I had to do. I made up my exam results, padded it out by adding in a few bits here and there; it's not like they were actually going to check to see if I got an A in Science. Travel was high on my list of interests, people like that don't they? If you've seen the world, experienced different cultures it makes you sound a bit more interesting than you actually are. It wasn't a total lie; I'd done most of the top party destinations that Europe had to offer, and anyway what's a little white lie? As long as no one gets hurt everything's okay.

Honestly, I wasn't even expecting to hear back from them, and then they called me and asked if I could do in for an interview. Two days later Caroline called me back and offered me the job. I knew reading that 'Top ten tips to getting the job you want' article was worth it.

I accepted right there and then. I was hardly going to be some high-flying career woman, but everyone starts somewhere, right?

And then the only thing left to do was tell Aaron.

"Oh, god, not this again," he said. "Why are you leaving this time? Where are you running away to?

"It's not like that, I'm not running away," I told him. "I've got a new job; it's not like I don't like it here, I love working with you; it's just time to make a change, I guess. You're supposed to be my friend, can't you at least be happy for me?"

"Oh, that's right. It's all my fault; I'm the bitch! Okay, let's all be happy for Elsie, shall we? But what about me? What am I supposed to do? And you work for me Elsie, not with me."

"You'll figure it out; you're the boss. It's your salon; you keep reminding me of that fact whenever I try to make a suggestion."

"Oh, just get your stuff and get out."

I couldn't actually believe that Aaron would be like that, but if that was really how he felt about things, then it was fine by me. I had clients booked in all day, and if he didn't want me in the salon then he could go fuck himself. It wasn't as if I was going to just quit on him without working my notice.

"Look, I didn't mean it," he said as I packed away my brushes and scissors.

I didn't care if he meant it or not. I was out of there, and I wasn't going to forgive him for his diva-like outburst so quickly. I didn't see why I should. Just because he'd realised that he'd be working until at least ten o'clock, he suddenly didn't mean what he'd just said to me. No, as far as I was concerned, he could piss off.

I picked up my bag, said my goodbyes and walked out with my head held high, completely ignoring Aaron I might add.