The Winter Woods ~ 2

The song/video is the inspiration for the Winter Woods.

It's also from Lord of the Rings, doesn't Enya sing beautifully?

Enough of my fangirling, on to the story! <3

---------------------------------------------------------------------

  I walk down the halls of my home one last time, enjoying the peaceful atmosphere, before joining my father in the courtyard.

  "Now Ebony, Lennard and several other guards shall be accompanying you on you journey to the capital. I'm afraid I'll be unable to join you as I have... business elsewhere."

  My father finishes off with a small smile, his usual behavior returning back to 'normal'. I incline my head and don my cloak. 

  "I'll send word the second I arrive father."

  "Good, now have a safe journey. Always remember that the Winter Woods are never safe." My father places a small kiss on my cheek before vanishing.

  I knew what he meant by being on guard in the Winter Woods. Although we lived in a society of vampires, the Winter Woods were once home to the witches and are now filled with bandits who crave for riches.

  Lennard assists me onto the carriage and gives me a reassuring smile before sitting in front with the coach. 

  There was something bothering me... a feeling in the pit of my stomach. I had a bad feeling about the Winter Woods.

------------------------------------------------------------------------

The Stranger 

  The Winter Woods were seemingly quiet today, well, that's how they seemed to any travelers who dared to wander in. Unaware of the bandits that hid behind trees, lying in wait. 

  "Oi, are you ever going to come down from that tree?" Rasp calls from below, his raspy voice earning him the nickname. 

  Rasp had been a servant from Everstar before the execution of his lady. Now, he and his company protected those with good hearts from the bandits in the Winter Woods. 

  "Coming."

  I jump down from the tree, landing softly on the leaves below. 

  "Alrighty 'ye tree spirit, we've just spotted a carriage entering the woods. Seems like a noble girl goin' to win the hand of our crown prince, ay."

  "This should be interesting," I grumbled under my breath. Every time one of the noble girls came through they hid behind the curtains in their carriages, never daring to peek. They were as uninteresting as a tree stump.

  Little did I know this one was a bit different...

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

  We were having a quiet and pleasant ride until the carriage stopped. I was debating wether to step out or stay inside, but Lennard opened the door.

  "My lady, a tree has fallen on the path ahead. I'm afraid it may be-"

  "Bandits. I'll handle this."

  I gently push Lennard out of my way, pulling my cloak over my head.

  "But my lady, it's to dangerous-"

  "Hush now Lennard, I'll handle the tree. Give me word if you see anyone, or anything."

  Lennard closes his now open mouth and gives me a subtle nod. He heads to the top of the carriage and pretends to make conversation with the coach.