The Trial ~ 11

I rush down the royal hallway on my way to Madisón's room. My heart is pounding with exhilaration. Madisón's wind message seemed so urgent. It better be, I was getting somewhere with Adonis. Rounding the next corner, I see a figure cloaked in red-leaning against a tapestry depicting the death of the witches, including the Fae-Human coalition. 

    "Madisón-"

    I'm cut off by Madisón throwing her head back and laughing hysterically. Tears were rolling down both of her cheeks, and her eyes glossed over. She pulls her knees up to her chest before calming down. An eerie silence fills the cold hallway, but I knew there were eyes and ears everywhere. Without making a single sound, I crouch down to her level and, placing a hand on her head, I use magic to whisk us to my room. 

    The familiar scent of lavender encompasses me as Madisòn staggers to one of the plush couches nearby. I give Madisón a moment to collect herself before settling down into a chair across from her. An unsettling silence fills the room, only broken by Madisón's ratty breaths.

    "Are you going to tell me what happened, or are we just going to let it sit uncertainly between us."

    Madisón straightens and places her trembling hands on her lap. She looks me right in the eyes, her mouth becoming a straight line. 

    "Charlotte is- is having an affair with the Queen."

    A sense of panic floods my whole body. This is bad, beheading sort of bad. If anyone found out about this, Charlotte could be killed, including her entire family's reputation destroyed. Instead of letting my concerns show, I merely nod my head, gesturing for Madisón to elaborate.

    "I was on my way to the Crown Prince's quarter when I heard moaning coming from a nearby room. Of course, I peeked, but I didn't expect to see Charlotte biting the Queen's neck while being butt naked. I went to knock on Adonis's door, but couldn't bring myself to, and instead collapsed in the hallway. The only thought coursing through my head was, this must be how Charlotte felt."

    Madisón drags her hand down her face, fixing her ruined make-up. A sort of determination taking control of her as she gets up.

    "Where do you plan on going?"

    "I have to pay my debt to her and make sure no one finds out, it's the only way I can calm myself down."

    Madisón turns her back on me and leaves, but a weird tension is left in the room. I had a horrible feeling she was too late.

-------------------------------------------------------------------

    It only took ten minutes for the entire castle to be ushered into the throne room. The nobility whispering constantly, but I could only catch a few words. 

    Queen. Affair. Woman.

    I could tell by Madisón being missing she had gotten herself involved out of guilt, I feel bad for her to have to sit in front of this crowd of horrid nobles in her state. While I was lost in thought, I was beginning to see motion around the throne and King Blanć steps out from behind the red velvet curtain.

    Every noble lowers themselves into curtsies and bows, I stare at the king's face as I pick up my skirts. He looked tense, but not at all heartbroken as he should be. It's clear what his affections for the queen truly are.

    "Rise."

    I rise, squaring my shoulders in anticipation.

    "I'm sure you are all wondering why I've gathered you all here at such an early time, I understand the stars have just begun to show, but this is an important matter. Queen Amaranthe was caught lying with Charlotte Solléil, a competitor for the Crown Prince's heart."