Hostage ~ 13

Marié and I's duel wasn't too shocking, most of the judges had been focusing on other duels with people they most likely supported. Unfortunately, the one watching mine was none other than the Crown Prince himself. I can't be mad at him for it, he is the one who caught me training. I'm sure he must've been wondering how my skills in a fight would be. None of us were too concerned with the outcome though, duels may prove our skill against each other, but not how we'd fare in a real fight against someone with the intent to kill us. Sure there is tension between us competitors, but none of us bare enough hatred to kill each other, yet. I spent the rest of the day with Charlotte and Madisón, speaking about what our plan was for the rest of the competition.

    Charlotte planned to live comfortably with the Queen, Madisón planned on either seducing one of the human kings or a high-ranking noble, and I, well-told them I wanted to find out more about my mother's death, but there's more to it than that. We all spoke to each other for so long, before we knew it the sun had already risen. At that point we all separated and went to go rest. We'd been told today was a big day. 

    Which leads us to right now, standing in front of the large stage in the middle of the training grounds, for day five of combat week.

    "Hello ladies, I'm sure you've all been wondering about what we could possibly be doing today. To answer your question, let's just call it a group exercise. More specifically, capture the flag but there's only one flag and it's one of you," William explains as he comes to stand in the center of the stage.

    We all look at each other, surprised, yet still confused.

    "To elaborate, one of you ladies will be lucky enough to be protected by none other than our princes and nobility. The rest of you, however, will have to test your skills in teamwork and strategy in order to get your fellow lady back. In order to win, you must be able to pin this," William holds up a gold crown pin," On the lovely 'flag' before one of us is able to stop you."

    I see, so on one hand we would be able to show off our skills in leadership and strategy, but the one who would be chosen to be the flag would get precious time alone with sponsors. Most importantly, the Crown Prince. As if we both knew what the other person was thinking, Madisón and I turn to look at each other. Knowing we can win this challenge with ease as partners. William claps, and we all turn to him.

    "I will be pulling a name out of this hat, whoever is called will be the flag and will be taken to a remote location."

    He stuffs his hand into a squire's cap and pulls out a scrap of parchment.

    "Ebony DuFont!"

    Fuck.

--------------------------------------------------------

    I was taken to a small cottage in the Enchanted Woods, where Damien, Adonis, and other lords laid waiting. As William left me to go talk to the other lords, I took the time to observe my surroundings. There was a fireplace near the back of the home, a small, hay bed on the right, an even smaller kitchen on the left, and near the entrance was a seating area. 

    I took a seat near a window facing where the ladies were coming from, turning around to face the projection of the ladies getting ready to find me. Even though vampires hate witches, we do use magic frequently, especially during competitions. Earlier on, the palace's elite force of 'mages' had set up a magic circle around the area, allowing whoever owned a circle called a seal to see everything inside. 

    Looking around once more, I notice Adonis staring at me and gesture at him to come. I'd rather speak to him than anyone else in this shit hole. He stands up and pulls a chair to the window, taking a seat directly across from me. He unties the rope that William had tied around my wrists earlier for 'effect'.