Combat Week ~ 8

The ball went by in a blur. I could barely remember anything that happened after William's announcement, let alone who got sent back home. How could William of all people be the combat instructor? He wasn't even announced as a lord.

  He disappeared right after my performance, not even bothering to mingle with any of the nobles. No one with any sort of title would miss an opportunity to strengthen connections with others in the court. So who is he?

  I push my legs over the edge of my white, satin sheets, pausing to take a breath. Although we vampires don't need to sleep, it is very refreshing to wake up every so often. Which is what I had wanted to do last night, but was unable to do. It's not that easy to sleep when you keep seeing a deep sapphire every time you close your eyes. Which is the only part of the prince that's even remotely attractive. I swear.

  I slowly get up and grab my red, silk robe from a plush armchair near my bed. I tie it around my chemise just in time for three maids to stumble into my room. The tallest had limbs like sticks, and seemed very awkward. She kept adjusting her uniform and playing with her light, brown hair. The one in the middle was plump, and couldn't meet my eyes. Her scarlet hair was pinned up in a bun on top of her head, which would shake every time she moved. As for the shortest, well, calling her an anything other than child would be an insult. Her blond hair was separated into two short pigtails, held up by purple ribbons. She wore black flats, instead of black heels, and had a rose broach in the center of her uniforms collar.

  The shortest one clears her throat and the other two snap to attention, now stiff and looking directly above my head. The tallest one whispers to the shortest one, asking who's supposed to go first. The shortest one merely rolls her eyes and gives me a forced smile.

  "Bonjour Miss DuFont, my name is Maeve. I'm the current head maid, and your current lady-in- waiting. I hope you can excuse our tardiness, we didn't mean any offense," Maeve finishes, a now tight-lipped smile appearing on her face. It seems to me that these girls haven't had the best experience with any of their past Ladies'.

  I muster up the most genuine smile I can before asking the other two what their names are.

  "I-I'm Alora, miss. Pleased to meet-pleased to- to meet you," the girl in the middle stutters out. Maeve shoots a sharp look in her direction, and Alora's lip begins to quiver. The tallest one places her hand on Alora's shoulder, sympathy showing on her face, before turning to me with a sneer.

  "The names Aianna, miss. Pleased to meet you, miss."

  Aianna's fists tighten at her sides, as she stares at me with barely contained rage. Now that was the last straw, I will not have my maids who'm I'm supposed to trust being upset at me for an unknown reason.

  "That's enough, all of you," I state, straightening my back and taking one step closer. Alora steps behind Aianna, tears threatening to spill from her eyes. I let out a sigh.

  "I don't know what you've all been through, but I promise I won't do the same as others have done to you. I understand my words mean nothing, so I ask you to give me the names of those who have wronged you, and you'll see the truth behind my words."

  Aianna's cheeks turn a bright red, and she begins to stutter in anger, before being stopped by a small hand on her arm.

  "It's alright Aianna, let me speak to her."

  Alora steps out from behind Aianna, a newfound courage apparent on her face.

  "Lady Hazel, miss."

  I raise my eyebrows, I half expected it to be Marié. I clear my throat before letting a gentle smile rest on my face, "Do you feel comfortable telling me what happened? I understand if you're not-"