FOR THE FIRST TIME

~Chapter Song: The Rose 'I.L.Y'~

The following week So-Hyun was at work, preparing for her counselling session and upon hearing her name being called she walked into the office. She first noticed the large leather chair that dominated the small room and she felt the pressure of being in it suddenly overwhelm her. Part of the training required So-Hyun to take part in her own counselling session, at least twice so she can understand more of what it's like.

"I know this is all for training, but it really works best when you take the conversations we have in here seriously and it helps the both of us. Don't worry, I have the right to keep everything we say in here confidential so do feel comfortable." The counsellor, Kim Jung-ah explained. She was beautiful and is ageing gracefully with confidence that amazed So-Hyun when she walked in.

"So, if you're ready I will set the timer and we can begin?" She said, offering her a seat.

"Yes." So-Hyun nodded, watching as Jung-Ah put her glasses on, immediately sticking her pen to a blank piece of paper.

"How are you finding your training so far?"

"It's been enjoyable. Hard, but still good. I'm happy to be doing something that I enjoy."

"What are your plans after training?"

So-Hyun gave it some thought before answering "Well, I'm thinking of doing my PhD in a few years, I wanted to do it straight away, but was advised to not rush into anything... And it costs money." She smiled. "But, who knows, I might just enjoy this counselling life."

"I see. Can we move onto your personal life So-Hyun-ssi?" She saw So-Hyun hesitantly nod and reassured her with a smile. "So-Hyun-ssi how often do you meet up with your friends?"

"I don't meet with them often as of recent. Since we graduated we haven't had many opportunities, because we've been busy with work but we still make the effort to contact each other. At the moment I only have one close friend now and a... boyfriend."

"I see, is there anyone in particular who you feel really understands you and is close to you? You don't have to say names, of course."

So-Hyun puckered her lips in thought "I think for me, it's my mother."

"That's interesting, I'm sure you know this being a Psychology major and all, but usually as you grow such positions are given to your close friends or your partner. What makes you trust your mother so much?"

"She's been everything to me since I was young. I guess, my mother's been the only one to have never left me. She's always been there for me and supported all of my decisions. Even if she doesn't understand straight away she'll always ask and make the effort to understand. I admit there were times that I done wrong and kept some things from her, but even after scolding me like a normal mother would, she advised me... I've felt selfish at times for some of the things I've said and done, I'm a bad daughter, right?"

"Not at all So-Hyun-ssi. I'm here to listen to you, judgement-free. You mentioned that she's the only one to never have left you, would you like to further elaborate?"

So-Hyun opened and closed her mouth, contemplating whether she should continue but amidst her deliberation she began to speak her thoughts. Old habits die hard.

"From a young age I always questioned why the people that were closest to me had to leave me. My father died when I was younger, the few friends I had all left me and I was always left alone. Well I had my mother and brother of course... they've been the only one's constant in my life."