Chapter 3

Jake opened his eyes, still half-asleep, as his arm drifted over to the other side of the bed. He knew immediately that something was off when his hand fell to the mattress, but he couldn't help his heart rate bounce up when he felt the side usually taken by Amy as cold, the cover pushed away from the side as if by a large force. He looked around the dark room, his eyes only just beginning to focus on one thing before he moved on to the next one. He glances the alarm clock and it takes a moment, but eventually his eyes adjust to the illuminous red numbers, showing the time: 03:32 am.

Jake groans at the ungodly hour, which soon sends his mind into a wander down a dark path. Why was Amy up at three-thirty in the morning? And where on earth had she gone?

His answer was quickly answered upon hearing the noises of retching coming from the bathroom. His head lifts up immediately and he jumps out of bed, fumbling through the dark room, almost tripping up his disregarded clothes from yesterday Amy had lectured him about before they got into bed. He got to the closed bathroom door and much to his luck, when he tried the door it opened straight away.

He got down on his knees, picking the loose threads of hair from his girlfriend's - that was going to take a while to get used to, he could already tell - face and slowly rubbed circles on her lower back. He stayed in silence until she eventually picked her head up.

He smiles weakly at her once they make eye contact. "What was that from?" He asks quietly.

She flushes the toilet and rests herself against the front of her cabinet. She shakes her head. "I don't know, it just - kind of came over me."

Jake smiles again, sitting down completely on the bathroom floor. "How do you feel now?" He wonders.

"A little better." She sighs.

"Maybe this is what Terry was talking about," Jake quickly brings into the conversation, making Amy look to him with a joint look of mostly confusion and a hint of worry, "you know? Terry mentioned about Sharon having really something something, what was it called?"

"Morning sickness?" Amy fills in the blanks, making Jake smile and click his fingers slightly.

"Yeah that's it. What if that's what this is?"

Amy looks a little skeptical. "I don't know, possibly. It's just I read that morning sickness would start earlier than this. Isn't eight weeks a little too late for it to start?"

"Ames, the doctor said every pregnancy is different."

"I know that." She laughs.

"Which would mean that every morning what-not would be different too." Jake mentions.

"Morning sickness?" She asks again.

He simply nods his head, making Amy roll her eyes at him, to hide the smile that was creeping along her face.

********************
Two Days Later

The bullpen was unusually quiet. Jake and Charles had gone out to question a suspect for their Reyes homicide case, Rosa was silently working on the closing paperwork for her last bust, Terry was at a doctor's appointment with Sharon, Holt was in his office (as usual), and Gina was unsurprisingly on her phone. The only thing that wasn't making the bullpen so quiet you could hear a pin drop in the interrogation room was the holding cell, containing three perps who were talking either to each other or themselves, and Hitchcock and Scully, who were both on the verge of shouting across the desks to each other and throwing snacks to the opposite's wide open mouth.