Chapter 4

The waiting room was somewhat quiet, with the overly excited toddler occasionally running and happily screaming away from his mother who was a few seats away from where Jake and Amy were sat, waiting for Amy's name to be called. There was also the odd doctor or nurse passing by the waiting room.

Amy notices in the corner of her eye that Jake was tapping his foot to the tile of the floor beneath them. His leg was bouncing subtly, very much so it was hard to spot. Luckily for her, she had a keen eye for small things like that.

"Jake?" She whispers his name to him, making him turn to face her - stopping the bouncing of his leg. "Are you nervous? I can't help but notice that you're leg's jumping slightly."

Jake raises his eyebrows. "What? No, why would you think that?" His voice goes up in pitch slightly.

"Don't lie to me." Amy sighs.

Jake huffs and looks around the room slightly before turning his gaze back to his girlfriend. "Okay, maybe I'm a little nervous."

"Why?" Amy turns in her chair to look at him straight.

"It's just, this is the first in-depth look at the twins. Today would be the day that they'd tell us if something's wrong."

Amy smiles weakly and places her hand on top of his. "I promise, everything will be fine. They'll just have a look, tell us that it looks good, and we'll be back to work before you know it."

"How are you optimistic?" Jake wonders.

"Because I'm trying not to think about it too much. I'm just excited that we'll be able to see the twins again."

A silent moment passes between them both before the screaming from the toddler across the room comes closer to them. It must have been a second later when the young boy - aged two or three - stopped in front of them, showing off his toy truck.

"Do you like it?" The toddler asks, smiling widely at the couple.

Amy nods slowly, smiling slightly at the boy. Jake leans forward and takes a closer look at the toy. "That looks nice, where did you get it from?"

"It got it for my birthday." They boy responds. He then gets down to his knees, placing the toy on the floor. "Watch this." He tells them, pulling the toy back on it's wheels and letting go.

The toy races along the tile floor, making the boy squeal out with pleasure. He then stood up and chased it across the waiting room, his blonde curls jumping around his ears as he ran across the room.

Amy looks back to Jake from the toddler and smiles, just as he does the same. "That will be us in a couple years." Amy beams.

Jake leans back in his seat. "Yeah it will, but we'll have two kids doing that instead of just the one."

"Amy Santiago?" One of the nurses calls from one of the halls.

Amy looks up before standing to her feet a moment later. She grabs Jake's hand to make sure he's actually following her - unlike last time where he had completely zoned out and hadn't heard the nurse call his girlfriends name. They then both follow the nurse through the hall and to the doctor's office.

***************
Twenty Minutes Later

Like the times before, Jake was sat in the darkness, gently holding and reassuringly squeezing Amy's hand as she lay in silence, staring up at the ceiling. Doctor Bennett was working quietly with the machine, squinting heavily at the screen as if he was trying to find what he was looking for.

"Is everything okay?" Jake eventually asks, breaking the silence that was slowly making him freak out if it dragged on any longer.

Doctor Bennett takes his eyes off the screen and looks to the male detective. He nods, "Yes, I'm just having a hard time looking at the screen. Nothing you need to worry about, I just forgot my glasses today."