Chapter 6

Jake nervously laughs as he stands from the couch. He paces around the living room to his girlfriend's apartment, trying to stay as close as he could as he processed the news. He suddenly comes to a standstill, looking to Amy - who was still sitting on the couch, confused by his actions. "Ames, what do you mean by move in together?" He asks, his voice slightly higher than usual.

"What do most people mean when they ask someone to move in with them?" Amy wonders, raising her eyebrows to her boyfriend.

"Where is this coming from? Six hours ago we were arguing over a mattress and now you're asking to move in together?"

Amy moves on to her knees, facing Jake over the back of the couch. "I know, but my parents got me thinking. We can't raise twins being in two separate apartments, can we?"

Jake slowly shakes his head. "Well, no, obviously," he stops as he chuckles humourlessly, "this is all just really sudden, and slightly unexpected if I do say so myself."

"Sorry, I shouldn't have asked so soon, just pretend I didn't ask anything, let's just forget about it until later on, we'll figure it out." Amy turns the other way, slumping back into the couch.

"Yes." Jake says quickly, making Amy face him, her eyebrows high again.

"What?" She wonders, her eyes wide.

"Yeah, screw it. Let's do it," he responds, taking a few steps forward to the couch, "let's move in together."

****************
One Week Later

Amy walks out from the bedroom and immediately goes to sit down on the couch. It had now reached the point in the pregnancy where it was getting difficult for her to stand for too long without it putting too much strain on her feet.

"What was all that about?" Jake asks from the kitchen table as he was searching through his computer.

She had gotten up and walked through the the bedroom when her phone started to ring, but she didn't say who it was before she shut the door behind her.

Amy turns to face him with a weak smile. "Oh, it was the doctor's office."

"What did they say?" He questioned, his eyes glued to the tiny screen in front of him.

"Well, actually they said two things, and it's a kind of good news bad news thing." Amy responds.

Jake looks away from the computer and raises her eyebrows when she doesn't continue on the follow up. Instead, she looks to the side and stays quiet. After a moment, Jake speaks up, grabbing her attention. "Ames!" He calls, making her turn toward him again, "you were saying..."  He encourages her to continue.

Amy raises her eyebrows. "Saying what?"

"What the doctor's office told you, you we just on the phone with them." Jake sighs.

Something clicks in Amy's mind. "Oh, yeah," she turns to Jake again, "you know how my next appointment would be on Friday and we both weren't happy about it because you have to go on a stakeout on Thursday?"

Jake nods, standing up and making his way over to the fridge. "I do recall that, and I also recall having a mouthful to the receptionist, which didn't end well."

"Well, the good news is that there was a drop out from a couple next Tuesday, something about them having to go to a funeral, so they said they'd move us to their appointment instead."

Jake walks over to the back of the couch, a huge smile present on his face. "That's great!" He says happily, "wait? What is the bad news?" He wonders, the smile falling.