Chapter 5

Yelling from across the bullpen makes Gina glance up from her phone that she had been glaring at for hours now. She had picked her phone out of her pocket as soon as she sat at her desk at nine that morning, and somehow it was already midday. She raises her eyebrows to see Amy yelling at a couple of perps that had gotten out of line. That's when she sees it.

While focusing on this side of Amy that she had never seen on her before, her eyes glance quickly to her childhood best friend - who also seems to be stealing glances at his desk partner, smiling slightly at her reaction.

Jake had told her that he liked Amy a year or so ago, when he came back from being undercover with the mob. But no where in her mind did it stay that he might still have feelings for his colleague. That would be weird if he still liked her, given the fact she's fifteen weeks pregnant with someone else's baby, Gina thought to herself as she turned her attention back down to her phone.

Another ten minutes pass as the civilian administrator looks through social media, blocking out the world around her. When she feels her stomach grumble, she knows it's about time to steal Hitchcock's lunch.

She stands from her desk and heads over to the kitchen on the other side of the room before digging her way through the cupboards in an attempt to find the old detective's food.

She turns around to find that she was unsuccessful in nabbing the food before he did as she sees the empty container sitting on his desk. Damn, I'd have to be faster next time, we all know he can't run that fast.

Her eyes fall back to her friend's desk, to see he still has the look printed in his eyes. Yeah, he still likes her. She thinks, hiding the smile that was creeping on her face as she thinks back to when he was pining over Jenny Gildenhorn, and how he would have the same look on his face back then as he did now whenever he saw her in school.

Her eyes drift to Amy, who was sitting back at her desk and was working on some paperwork. And then she catches the same glance in the female detective's eyes as she looks up and smiles briefly at Jake. It's a look she's only seen on Jake, and it's a look she can recognize anywhere. There's no way that's possible unless... her mind trails off before she can realize the "oh...damn" quietly escaping from her lips in the noisy bullpen.

******************
Three Weeks Later

Jake glances over his shoulder to see his girlfriend now peacefully asleep. He turns back to see the time on his alarm clock as just after 4 am. He had been on and off for the all night, but he knew for a fact that the last times he had awake - the previous time being at 2:30 - Amy had also been awake and hadn't been able to sleep all night. She had had some pretty bad back pain the night before and she was in obvious discomfort, so Jake was glad that she had been able to eventually drift off, even if it had only been for the last ten minutes.

Jake turns his body around to lie on his other side. He smiles at the sleeping figure of his girlfriend next to him. Even while being eighteen weeks pregnant, she still pulled off an impressing look. He wished he was able to tell her at work when he knew she needed it the most, but he also didn't want to upset her by blurting it out.

All he wanted was to shout to the noisy streets of Brooklyn around him that he was dating his best friend (although he could never admit that to Charles), and that she was having his twins that were due in a four and a half months but he didn't want to jinx anything. Jinx the twins in any way or jinx his relationship with Amy. Everything was perfect right now, and he dreads he is one slip up from dying alone.