Chapter 8

"So, what was your opinion on that one?" Jake wonders, looking in the direction of his fiancée as he joined her in the drivers seat of the car.

Amy nods, humming slightly. "It was nice, I liked it."

Jake raises his eyebrow toward her, pulling the door shut. "But..." He prompts.

"But, the area's a bit weird, Jake." She sighs, folding her hands in her lap. "I'm sorry, the neighbors were giving me strange vibes."

Jake can't help but let out a small laugh as he begins up the car engine. "Don't be sorry, Ames, but we are staring to run out of options."

"I know, you keep making me aware." She says before watching the road intently as Jake begins making his way back to her apartment.

After a silent moment between the pair, Amy breaks it again. "It's just, this might be the house we're gonna spend the rest of our lives in, the twins will grow up in the house, I just want it to be perfect."

Without taking his eyes off the road, he furrows his eyebrows. "What do you mean it might be?"

"You know, once the twins have moved out, we might wanna move some place else, for retirement years and all that."

"You think about that sort of stuff?" Jake asks, turning his gaze to Amy beside him briefly before looking back to the road in front of him.

Amy nods. "Yeah, I guess. My mind wanders sat on desk duty all day."

"Yeah, that doesn't look that fun." He sighs, trying not to make eye contact with her.

Amy drops the conversation and makes them both sit in a few minutes of silence before beginning to think of bringing up another conversation. An old idea rushes in her mind suddenly, and before she can think about it too much, she's asking him anyway.

"Hey, I was wondering, after the twins are born, is that when we'll tell people about us?"

Jake looks over subtly, raising his eyebrows slightly. "Is that when you want to tell people about us?" He questions.

Amy shrugs. "Don't get me wrong, there's a fun feeling to be keeping this a secret from almost everyone we know, but if one of the twins looks like you, it might be harder to keep it a secret."

"You have a good point," he replies with a smirk, "but if I'm being honest, I'm hoping neither of the twins look like me, I mean, could you imagine my nose on a kid?"

"It's not that bad." Amy cuts in quickly.

"Have you seen it?"

Amy turns her attention fully in to him and thinks for a moment. "Well, big nose, big heart?"

Jake furrows his brows. "No one has ever said that to me before."

"Well, you have the biggest heart out of everyone I know." Amy defends with a smile.

"What about Scully's?" He asks, smirking slightly as he looked dead-ahead in front of him.

Amy glares at the side of his face subtly. "You know I meant metaphorically."

Jake turns his gaze to her, locking their eyes together for a moment. She smiles at him as he lets out a small laugh before looking back out to the road again.

They stay silent for a few minutes. Over the past few months, their quiet pauses between conversations had shifted from awkward to comfortable. This time a year ago, they both would have been begging that someone else would break the silence lingering between them, but, instead, Amy falls into her seat and watches out the window, waiting for another conversation idea to pop up while Jake watched the road in front of him intently.