Still Love Her - Angst

"You still love her."

Tension suddenly filled the air, shifting the atmosphere almost instantaneously. Not only due to the chill throughout his house but because of the fact that you finally brought it up: The elephant in the room.

It had existed ever since Liza and David split, but was buried for months under laughter and drinking and partying and anything else the boy could distract himself with. To others he seemed to have improved since the initial heartbreak but you were the one person who could see beneath that.

It was the way he fell silent at random moments or how he seemed to be finding himself more and more lost in thought. His demeanor shifting when her name was spoken or how every time she appeared he tensed.

You saw it all.

And now here he was, breaking down in your lap because he was finally succumbing to the emotions he had been swallowing for almost a whole year now.

Every tear shed, every sniffle and whine was another release. And despite how painful it was to witness you were happy he was finally allowing himself to feel again.

"I-I just," He croaked, "I just wish I was enough for her."

A burning sensation built behind your eyes the moment he spoke those words. Your heart aching you open your mouth to speak but his sob interject,

"W-Why wasn't I enough for her?" His grip on you tightens and now he's curling into your thigh, warm tears sliding down his cheeks and staining your pant leg.

His body shakes and even though you can't see it you know his heart is aching.

The boy you had known since you were 8 who never shed a tear, who never presented himself as sad, who was always the strongest was broken—scarred from heartbreak.

If only he knew...if only he knew how amazing he truly was. You wanted to tell him that, explain that he's every thing good the universe produces and more. But you had been heartbroken before and through that you learned one thing in specific: there are no words to comfort.

"Shh." You coo softly, somehow managing to clench your teeth and hold back your own tears, before pulling his near limp body closer to your chest.

Arms incasing bodies you held each other as tightly as humanly possible. The feeling of David's fingertips digging into your back triggered the tears welling in your eyes and now they were flowing.

This pain was going to last—there's no doubting that. It had festered inside of him like an unsown wound.

All you could do now was help him clean it out, stitch it up and watch for infections.