Chapter 13: Humble

Lila's POV

Jimin and I head back downstairs to get started on our journey to find the perfect dress.

"Which car should I take?" Jimin points at the key tree adorned with various keys to cars I could only see in movies.

"I don't know much about cars, Jimin. You know that."

He grabs a set of keys and continues to walk us to the door. "I know. I just like to keep impressing you."

"In a house like this? Jimin, I think I get the message. Plus, this was all from your dad's hard work. You're just lucky his paid off this big." Jimin looked down at the keys and I instantly felt bad again. I never know what to say. "You know I didn't mean that in a bad way Jimin. My dad works 12 hours a day just to get us by. My dad's hard work shows in my good grades. We're what are parents influence us to be."

"I don't want that though. "

"Why wouldn't you? Seeing how hard your dad worked to get all of this should make you want to work hard to do the same and to be successful. "

Jimin puts the keys back on the rack and swaps them for another set. "Not in my case. Trust me, I want to be nothing like my father. But enough about that. We have a dress to buy."

He swiftly takes my hand and rushes us to the door. Right as we get to it the front door opens and we almost run into Mr. Park in the process.

"You almost made me spill my coffee, Jimin." The man glares at Jimin before meeting eyes with me. His face immediately softens. "Looks like you're sobered up."

I cover my mouth with my hand in embarrassment. "I'm so sorry, sir. I know it is disrespectful coming into your house in that state without your knowledge. I promise you that is unlike me. It'll never happen again. I hope we can reintroduce ourselves? I'm Lila, Jimin's girlfriend. It's truly a pleasure to meet you."

I stretch out my hand to shake his. It takes him a second as he hesitates to respond. "What a lovely young girl this is, Jimin. Much different from the girls you usually bring home," he responds in a slow and condescending manner.

He doesn't let go of my hand or break the eye contact we made. I wanted to make a good impression so I didn't coward down in awkwardness like I usually do. I stood my ground and continued to shake his hand. However, Mr. Park stopped the shake and instead raised my hand to his lips. I bit my lip as I started to get uncomfortable and eventually pulled my hand away.

"That's enough, dad." I could see Jimin's jaw was clenched right after he said that.

"I'm just being polite, son. It's not every day we have beautiful and respectful young ladies in the house." Mr. Park looked me up and down one last time before passing us and entering the house.

Jimin pulled me out the door before I could even say bye or at least process the uneasy situation we had just experienced. "What was all that about?"

"Whatever my dad says or does, ignore it."

"Why? He was just being nice, in a weird, old-timey way."

"That wasn't nice. It's odd. Just stay by me at all times."

I nod and he continues to take me down the driveway parked with extravagant cars. They were each getting more and more flashy until we reached a humble little pale blue buggy from the 80s.

"This is the cutest thing I've ever seen! Whose is it? A neighbor's or something? I always dreamt of having one just like it." I touched the blue beauty, taking it all in.

"It's mine, Lila."

"Yeah right. Someone must have left it here for the night."

Jimin laughed. "On private property? Lila, it's mine. I fixed it up when I was 16. She runs great."

"No way. That's amazing, Jimin, but why would you do that when you have all of those?" I point to all of the expensive cars lining his enormous driveway.

"Kept my feet on the ground."

"But you're so arrogant in public."

"You obviously still don't know me." He smiles and unlocks the car before opening the passenger for me. I get in and soon enough he gets in too. Just as he got in he slammed the door a little harder than anticipated, causing the noise to startle me. "I'm sorry, gorgeous!"

I roll my eyes. "I told you not to call me stuff like that."

"I was talking to the car."

"Oh." I bite my lip and try to suppress my laughter as Jimin turns on the car and we eventually speed off.
~~~~~~~~~
We were walking down the most known street in the city. It was famous for being lined with designer shops a girl could only imagine walking into, let alone shop in them.

"Wow, I've always been too scared to walk in this part of the city." I look around and take in all of my surroundings.

"Why scared?"

"I knew I'd feel bad seeing all of this stuff I could never afford."

Jimin gave my hand a little squeeze. "Lila, you're at the top of our class. With the way you're going, you're going to own this strip of land one day."

I look down at our hands and smile. "Thanks, Jimin. You always know what to say."

We keep walking for a while before I see a familiar silhouette up ahead. "Is that Jungkook?" I whisper to Jimin.

"Hey, Jungkook! Get over here!" Jimin waves his arm motioning Jungkook over to us.

I start freaking out and whisper yelling to Jimin. "What are you doing? You know he's mad at me! I'm so embarrassed! I'm gonna go."

I frantically turn around and try to walk away until Jimin wraps his arms around me and carries me back to where I was. As soon as I look up, my eyes meet with the soft brown ones of my best friend. 

"Oh, um, hi Jungkook. " I shyly look up at him hoping for at least a hi back. Instead he ignores me and looks right up at Jimin.

"I thought you said it would just be us shopping, Jimin."

"Well, I lied. It's actually going to be you and Lila shopping." Jimin hands him a credit card and Jungkook harshly refused it.

"I'm out of here." Jungkook began to walk away, something I thought he would never do.

"You're making a mistake, Jungkook," Jimin called out at him. "Walking away from a friend like Lila would be your greatest regret." Jungkook stopped in his tracks. "As I recall, you and Lila have been friends since you were toddlers. No one knows you better, no one will help you better, and no one loves you better than Lila. She feels bad for all she has done too. She wants to fix things. Why can't you?"

Jungkook finally turns around, head low. He slowly walks back towards us, letting Jimin's words sink in. "You're right," he states in a soft voice. "I'm sorry, Lila. You didn't deserve what I did to you last night. I know you were just protecting my morals. And you're right. You do know me better than anyone else, which is why I left Alexa too. I was just too embarrassed now to face you knowing I was acting like an idiot."

"It's okay, Jungkook." I wiggle out of Jimin's hug to take a step closer to my best friend. "But it's not all your fault either. I know you want to change and step out of your comfort zone. I just have to let you like I'm letting myself do the same. You deserve that. I can't hold you back. I'm sorry."

I jump into the familiar embrace of my life long friend and I could feel are friendship getting mended and getting stronger, thanks to Jimin. 

"Jungkook, Lila needs the most elegant and extraordinary gown for a wedding we're attending next week. I trust you'll help her pick out the perfect one." Jimin hands Jungkook the card once more before turning around and walking away. "I'll pick you guys up at 7. Have fun!"