Chapter 24

It would be tested.

~Your POV~
Laxus wrapped his arms around Mira surprisingly gently. Most people were confused, but I knew better.

The tears she tried to hold in cane flowing back out, and Mira snuggled closer into Laxus' chest and continued to cry.

He stroked her hair softly, as if she was a porcelain doll that could be broken with the slightest bit of pressure.

"Hey, shh, it's okay. I'm okay." He soothed. It was honestly really cute, seeing the big bad Laxus on the edge of tears as he cuddled Mira like a teddy bear, shielding her from the rest of the world.

Erza moved towards them, but all she got was Laxus shuffling away from her, a mean glare settling in his eyes and him clutching onto a still sobbing Mira even tighter.

I shook my head and started leading everyone inside the guild, leaving just the two of them outside.

"What just happened?" Gray asked in confusion.

"Dragons care about their mates and children more than anything, and they're willing to fight for them, maybe even kill if they have to." I spoke.

"Laxus' instincts acted up, basically something like hormones, and when he heard her crying, the need to find her only strengthened." I continued.

"So that's why Laxus broke out? He just wanted to comfort Mira?" Erza questioned. I shook my head.

"Mira actually got too close, and Laxus lost control. But when he heard Mira crying, the protective nature of his dragon side overpowered his mating side, and his objective changed from wanting to claim her to wanting to calm her. Especially since he saw that he was the cause of her crying, the mating side backed off completely." I explained.

I felt a pair of arms wrap around me from behind, and I smiled.

"Thing is, every dragon's instincts are different, and it may take a lot more or a lot less for their mating side to back off. Usually their mate crying is enough, but it also depends on whether or not their mate is strong and can handle themselves." Natsu spoke from behind me.

"Laxus knows Mira is strong and can protect herself, but since it was him she was scared of, he needed to reassure her that he was okay." Wendy added, newly joining the conversation.

"Then why was Gajeel alright yesterday?" Erza asked.

Gajeel's rough voice spoke from the side, "That's because I already claimed Shrimp, so I didn't really have any mating instincts left."

Levy's yells of embarrassed complaint followed his statement, and then came the infamous Gajeel giggle.

I laughed at the two, and Natsu's grip around my waist got tighter.

"Natsu? You alright?" I squeezed out of his grip a little and turned around.

His eyes were screwed shut and his breathing wavered.

I snuck a glance at the clock, and my eyes widened.

"Don't laugh at something that stupid Metal Head said." He muttered, the words dripping from his mouth like venom.

'It's only noon, why so fast?!'

"Guys, guys!" I called out and the rest of Team Natsu rushed over to me.

"Already?!" Gray spat.

"It's barely mid-day!" Carla exclaimed.

Wendy shook, "This is bad, guys."

We all turned to her, and she spoke, "Laxus' part of the season was jumped, so Natsu's is starting early! His part of the season will last longer!"

"That can happen?!" Gray was still very confused.

I nodded frantically, "Oh gosh, I forgot about that!"

Erza ran to the second floor and burst into Gramps' office, "Master! It's Natsu!"

They both rushed down, and the rest of the guild quietened down. I stayed still, Natsu's arms still wrapped around me.

I took a deep breath and gulped.

Gray came closer, reaching out his hand when I stopped him, "Don't!"

"It'll make it worse because of his personality." I shivered when Natsu breathed on my neck.

"Remember, he's extra aggressive and extra powerful during the Dragon Test." Erza said from the side.

Happy bust through the door all of a sudden, his eyes widening in shock.

Carla immediately flew over, covered his mouth, and dragged him back to us.

Happy go the message and decided to stay quiet for a bit. Or at least, not bug Natsu.

"The only way we can make sure Natsu is safe is if I mate with him." I muttered.

Natsu smirked, "I like the sound of that." His voice sent shivers down my spine.

"But then it'll be harder for you to control your powers during your part of the season." Wendy implied, concern clearly etched on her face.

I shook my head, "It's a risk I'm willing to take. It's okay."

Natsu's arms tightened even more, not to the point I couldn't breathe, but to the point I was kinda uncomfortable.

"What're we waiting for? Let's get going, babe." He growled and spun me around, taking a hold of my hands.

The rest of the guild could only watch in silence as I was dragged out and back home.

I took deep breaths, in and out, in and out. As much as I loved him, I was 100% not ready for... this.

It scared me, so to speak.

All of a sudden, we stopped, and I bumped into Natsu's back.

Curiously, I looked up, and saw his face etched with concern. His eyebrows were furrowed, and a frown was apparent.

"Hey, why the long face all of a sudden?" I asked.

"You're scared-" He muttered.

My eyes widened, and I froze.

"-of me." He sounded so hurt that for a second I forgot it was Natsu speaking.

"No. No, no, no. Natsu, I could never be scared of you." I stuttered. What else could I say?

"You know we're mates, right?" He asked, I nodded.

"So you know I can hear your thoughts 'cause you're a dragon slayer too, right?" He asked, a weak, lopsided grin forming on his face.

My eyes dropped to the ground, examining my feet.

His grip on my hand tightened, "We're not going to... mate tonight, okay?"
________________________
Words: 1010

Me: Oof. That's all I can say.

Natsu: What does that even mean?

Me: It means oof, now hush, child.

Y/N: I'm confused.

BYE!!!