Burning The Past

Chapter Seven

"So why Moose?"I asked.

Moose laughed.We had been practicing on our dance project for weeks.Moose had an idea that we should get to know each other because it would create better chemistry during the dance routine.I was really excited to work with him,but I was also super nervous.Moose was different from when we had danced together when we were younger,he went from being an amazing dancer to one of the best dancers that I had ever seen in my life.

"I think the real question is,why not Moose?"

I laughed at his cute humor.

"So what about you?"he said.

"What about me?"I said in between sips of my water.

"Well,starting with why you always call Darren and Michael your brothers?"

I giggled."Because they are,silly?"

He looked confused."I'm lost..."

"Well,Darren's dad is my dad,and Michael's mom is my mom.They got Darren's parents and Michael's parents got divorced,before I was born,then remarried,making me a little biracial butterfly."

Moose stared in amazement."That story is a little hard to follow."

I smiled,but just went with it.

"So how'd you start dancing?"

I thought for a moment.To be honest,I wasn't really sure when I started dancing.

"Uh...I was born a dancer,I guess.I don't remember when I actually started to dance.I just remember my mom saying,'Wow,look at her.'and my brothers calling me their little dancers.Dancing is all I know."

He looked like he was in deep thought."So why'd you stop?"

I looked up at him,sighing before I told him.

"My mom died...she was going to my audition to get into MSA...I guess that..that I thought that it was all my fault because she was killed on her way to my audition.Somehow,I still feel responsible for her death.She can't see me dance anymore,she can't do anything anymore because she's dead and it's all my fault."I said,holding back tears.I didn't want Moose to see me cry.What would he think if he saw me in that vulnerable state?But he didn't do anything,he just wrapped his arm around me in a small effort of comfort.

"But she can see you.She sees you from a better place and she doesn't have to worry about you.She knows that you're with friends and family.And look at it this way,every time you dance,you're dancing for her.The performance that she never got to see,think about it,she has the best seat in the house."

A single tear rolled down my face."Thank you."I muttered under my breath,looking down to avoid his gaze.

"Anything for you,Angel."

I smiled sweetly.

"So how did you get your nickname?"He asked.

I raised an eyebrow at him,questioning his seriousness.

"What nickname?"

"The nickname,Angel?"

I laughed out loud."It's actually my real name,Moose."

He blushed."Well,I can certainly see why they gave you that name."

I was confused."Huh?What are you talking about?"

"Because you are an angel."

I looked down and blushed.I couldn't believe he had actually said that to me.Wait..did he like me?I shrugged off the thought as just him making conversation. There was no way that Moose could actually take interest in me.

I looked at the time on my phone.It read 7:30.

"Moose,I'll see you later.If I don't get home soon,my brothers will get worried."

"Well,I'll walk with you-"

"No!"I cut him off."I'm fine.It's not far from here,anyway,well...bye!"I said,before running out.

I didn't want him seeing where I lived.He probably would have laughed if he even glanced at my small,run-down apartment.

I started walking and soon I reached my block.I looked up to reveal the worst thing that I had ever seen in my entire life...our apartment building was on fire..