Chapter Eight

Third Person POV

The Mystic Grill

Rapunzel walked into the grill in search for some hot chocolate. The Salvatore's had forgot to pick some up so she came here to get her fix. She walked up to the bar and sat down. She looked up to see Matt walking her way. "What can I get you?" He asked vaguely. "Um, a hot chocolate with whipped cream and chocolate shreds." She asked, looking down. "Coming right up." He turned to go get her order when she stopped him. "Matt, wait." He turned back towards her. "I'm sorry for the other day." She apologized. "Are you one of them?" He questioned, spatting out the word them. She furrowed her eyebrows quizzically. "A vampire." He whispered. Rapunzel's mouth formed an 'o' shape and she shook her head. "No, I am not."

"How do I know you aren't lying?" He asked the blonde. She let out a sigh, leaning forward and unclipping Matt's name pin. "Wha-" He began to question, stopping to see her prick herself with the needle of the pin. "See. I'm bleeding. And I'm not healing." She said, shrugging her shoulders. She placed her finger in her mouth sucking off the access blood. Matt handed her a band-aid he had in his apron, apologizing. "How do you know all of them then?" He quizzed as he began to make her hot chocolate. "I have what they call amnesia. Elena had found me and brought me to the Salvatore's. They have looked out for me ever since. I don't remember my life before Mystic Falls. Or I didn't until yesterday. I got given my old journal from someone who claims to be my father. It's a lot to explain, but I've started to remember my life prior to Mystic Falls. It's coming back bit by bit." Rapunzel ranted to her friend, taking ahold of the warm cup of joy Matt had handed her. "And what about Klaus?" He questioned. "I don't know much about him, but apparently I had known him." She tells honestly. "So, what's your story?" He questioned as he wiped down the counter. "That's a lot to explain, but from what I gather, I was born on July 6th, 1650-" Before she could continue Matt's eyes enlarge and he cuts her off. "How are you still alive?!" He gasped. 

"Let me finish." She scolds. Matt mumbles an apology and Rapunzel continues. "It was 1673 when I met Klaus. I haven't got any memories back yet from after our first meeting." She tells him. "From what I hear, I was put under a sleeping curse." She explains. "You really are like a real life princess." Matt chuckles. Rapunzel's eyebrows furrow, but before she can ask she hears her name being called. She turned to meet the eyes of one of the Mikaelson brothers. 

Her gut feels she could trust him and so did her heart, but her mind was telling her to run

Her gut feels she could trust him and so did her heart, but her mind was telling her to run. Run as fast as she could back to the Salvatore home. She sent him a small smile, before turning back to Matt. "I've got to go." She said lowly, sliding him a five dollar bill. "Keep the change." She said, placing her hand on his and sending him a smile. She hastily walked out of the Grill, knowing Kol was following her. She began walking down the street, her feet quickly hitting the pavement in a sprint-walk. Before she knew it, she was falling backwards, only to be caught by her arms. The hands of the person steadies her out. "Rapunzel, please." She looked up to see Kol. She got herself out of his grip. "Who are you?" She quizzed. He let out a dreary sigh. 

"I'm you're best friend." His voice wavered. Her heart seemed to break for this boy. "I knew you in the past." She claimed. "Yes. I'm Kol Mikaelson." He introduced, smiling sadly. Rapunzel seemed to relax in his presence. It's as if her body and heart knew who he was, but her mind didn't. "Want to walk with me?" Her small voice asked. Kol's heart rejoiced. He immediately nodded, wanting nothing more than to be in the presence of his best friend. They walked side by side down the side walk. "Y'know, when we first met, I thought you were too nice... I thought you'd hate me. I was an abomination; a monster in disguise." He began, his voice trailing off. "But no, it was quite opposite actually. We rather enjoyed each others company. We would roam the town and explore unknown places. You accepted me for me. You knew no fear." He said quietly as they walked over Wickery bridge. Rapunzel stayed quiet, soaking in his words. "My brother, Nik, he didn't give up on you; not once. We had all kind of given up hope over the years. But not him." He spoke. Rapunzel's heart seemed to throb at the mention of the sandy haired hybrid. The demi-god looked toward the original vampire. "So we- we were best friends, huh?" She said with a small smirk. "Yeah. We were quite mischievous." He chuckled. "But you never harmed a fly. That's the difference between you and I." He winked. He walked her up to the porch of the boarding house. "I guess it's your stop." He said sadly. "I guess so." She replied. Kol turned to walk away but she stopped him, grabbing his arm gently. 

"Kol?" She asked. He hummed in response. "Do you want to hang out again and maybe you can tell me a story or two about us?" She asked, smiling. She truly enjoyed the originals presence. "Of course." After that, he sped away, leaving a smiling Rapunzel.

***

The Salvatore Boarding House

It was now nighttime and Rapunzel sat in a chair next to the fireplace, curled up in a blanket with her journal in hand as she read. Stefan entered the room, her hot cocoa in hand. He placed it on the table next to her. He himself got a book off the shelf, pouring himself a glass of bourbon before sitting down on the couch across from her. The house was quiet, the crickets outside singing loudly, their chirps wouldn't go unheard. The sound of the crackling fireplace was calming to Rapunzel. She sipped on her favorite drink, letting out a sigh of content. Rapunzel's eyes scanned the pages. 

'Niklaus had taken me to the most beautiful place in the world. It was a field of sunflowers. The flowers swayed back and forth with the wind; it was almost as if they were dancing. The rhythm of the flowers, the beautiful sound of birds chirping, the rushing water of a small river nearby. It was absolutely perfect. A blanket was sprawled out on the grass, with Niklaus sat upon it. But I, I stood in the flowers, my curious eyes roaming my surrounding. This- this was happiness.'

Rapunzel gets a flashback of that day

Rapunzel gets a flashback of that day. Niklaus had planned the whole thing, surprising her. That ended up being their place. No one other than they had known of it. Rapunzel found herself smiling at the pages, an unknown feeling settling in her. She only wished she could go back to that happy day.

***