t w e n t y f i v e: if you don't it's goin' down

If you don't it's goin' down

Sam was blinded slightly by the colored smoke bomb that the son of Cruella De Vil had shot into the air, his arm wrapped protectively over Maddie, though the brunette didn't seem happy about it.

Sam walked forward once the smoke cleared, hearing the clashes of swords all around her. Uma and Mal fought vigorously, each trying to best the other. She heard a splash as Mal had pushed a pirate into the water.

Jay and Harry fought near the edge of the boat. Quinn and Maddie. Heather and the Auradon girl, Lonnie. Carlos and HJ. Gigi and Gil. Ben and Helia. Hanna against Chelsea? Sam wasn't sure why the daughter of Hans was helping the VKs, it didn't make sense. She was sure she'd been on their side in the morning.

It left Evie. Sam didn't really want to face Evie. She didn't want to. Evie would try to talk things into her and she knew she'd give in to it. She didn't want to.

Sam sighed, slashing her sword at Evie who blocked it.

"Hi Vivi." Sam said, twirling around the blue haired girl as their swords clashed. "I never knew you could use a sword."

"You taught me how." Evie said. "Remember."

Sam paused, pressing her sword against Evie's as they both paused.

"I remember." Sam said, smiling. "When mom found out she said that princesses don't need to learn how to use swords. She said princesses were meant to be saved, they didn't need a sword to save themselves."

"Yeah." Evie said. "But you taught me how anyway. You said that I needed to learn how to save myself and that I didn't need a prince to make me happy."

"Guess you took that to heart, huh?" Sam said. "You're dating the son of the dwarf, I don't know which one."

"You paid attention to that?" Evie asked. "I thought you said you didn't care about us once we left."

"I didn't care about them." Sam said. "I cared about you."

Evie's sword fell to her side, as she tilted her head to the side.

"You cared about me?" Evie asked. "You weren't mad at me?"

"I mean I was mad at first." Sam said. "That you'd leave without saying goodbye. And that you didn't bring down the barrier. But I saw how happy Auradon made you, it was always your dream of going there."

"Our dream." Evie said.

"Huh?" Sam said, her sword, falling to her side.

"Our dream." Evie said. "It was our dream to go to Auradon. You and me. We dreamed about what it would be like to have big castles and make tons of dresses."

"Did you get your castle?" Sam asked, raising her sword as a pirate walked past.

"No." Evie said. "But Doug says I almost have enough money for it."

"Doug....?" Sam asked. "Whose that?"

"The son of Dopey." Evie said. "My boyfriend."

"Oh that's what his name was." Sam said as she pressed her sword against Evie's. "I didn't really come here to catch up with you E."

"But you want to." Evie said. "You want me to tell you what makes Auradon so great. Why I'd leave you and stay there."

"How did you-?" Sam said, as Evie's sword clanked against hers, both trying to act like they were fighting the other.

"I can see it in your eyes." Evie said. "You missed me more than you care to admit."

"I missed you." Sam said. "I did. But you're going to go again so there's no point in missing you."

"I don't want to leave you Sam." Evie said, tears brimming in her eyes. " I don't want to. I'll stay here with you."

"No." Sam said. "You have to go. You can't stay here. You have a place to go."

"I can't leave you." Evie said.

"Evie." Sam said. "You're happy in Auradon. If you're happy, I'm happy. You have to go."

There's was a sudden splash as someone had jumped into the water. Sam saw a flash of red and rolled her eyes.

"I'll be back." Sam said. "I'm gonna save an idiot."

Jay chuckled as she walked past. Sam turned around and punching him on the shoulder. He winced, sticking his tongue out at her, which she returned.

Sam peered over the railing, waiting for him to resurface. She saw his head pop up again, as he swam back to the boat. She offered him her hand, he took it, pulling himself up.

He tried pulling her into a hug, but she backed away.

"Don't touch me." Sam said. "You're soaking wet. You'll ruin my outfit."

Harry ignored her, draping his arms over her shoulders, pressing a kiss to her forehead.

"Hey lovebirds!" Uma called. "Can you two get back to fighting?"

Sam pulled away from the hug, pulling her sword out of its sheath,walking back where Evie waited.

Sam slashed at Evie, who blocked it.

"You're dripping wet." Evie said.

"I know." Sam said. "Don't remind me. Where'd we leave off again?"

"You said I should leave." Evie said.

"Yes you should." Sam said, disregarding her sword and taking both of Evie's hands in hers. "You can't stay here. I don't want to stop you from doing what makes you happy."

"You make me happy." Evie said. "I can't-."

"You have to." Sam said. "I love you E. I'm not stopping you from doing what you want. You need to go."

"I can't." Evie said. "You've done so much for me.. and I can't even get you off this Isle. You deserve to live in Auradon. We could live there together."

"Not now." Sam said. "I can't go now. You can't stay here, you have to go. I love you. Go."

She took off the tiara she'd found at the stand, trying to give it to Evie.

Evie shook her head.

"Keep it."

Mal was ushering her group out, one at a time. Only she and Evie remained.

"Go." Sam said, pushing Evie forward. Evie looked at her one last time before disappearing down the tunnel as Mal kicked down the bridge.

Sam wiped the tears from her eyes, that she didn't even know she'd shed.

"Why is it so easy to fall in love, to love people. But so hard to stop when I want to?" Sam muttered as she heard Uma storm back to the Shoppe, the disappointed pirates following behind her.

"Did I just tell Evie I loved her?" Sam asked herself in realization, as she headed toward the Shoppe with the others.