Fancy Dress

Peter kept half opening his eyes and then shutting them again. He could hear the constant droning sound of somebody vacuuming downstairs.

His brain tried to process everything that had happened last night. He couldn't believe that he was that close to MJ...that he got to touch her in the way he did. That he got to see her when she wanted him.

He squinted as the daylight crept through the small gap in the curtains and onto his face. It must have been pretty late in the morning.

Peter finally opened his eyes and stared at the ceiling in front of him. He turned his head around to see MJ sleeping peacefully on the other side of the bed. She lay on her stomach and rested her head on her arms. Her hair covered the side of her face and she was breathing steadily.

She's so beautiful, Peter thought, wanting to relive the events of last night all over again. He couldn't believe that he was so scared, because it was probably the best night he'd ever had and now he was so happy.

The sound of the vacuuming downstairs increased, and Peter remembered that it was probably Sophia, MJ's cleaner.

He decided his next move was to probably wake MJ up and get themselves both dressed before she walked in on them. After all, Peter's job was to take care of MJ and not spend the entire weekend trying to get in her pants.

Peter leaned over and ran his fingers up and down MJ's back for a bit, moving her mass of curly hair away from her face in the hope that she would wake up.

MJ groaned, opening her eyes slowly.

She made eye contact with Peter and then chuckled to herself quietly, before pulling the covers over herself a bit more and putting her head back on the pillow.

"MJ." Peter said, touching her arm. "We gotta get up."

Peter thought about how absurd this scenario would have seemed about a month ago, and how MJ had commented that she would never have sex with him.

"Huh?" MJ said, her voice soft and tired.

"I think Sophia's downstairs." Peter replied.

"Oh God." MJ said, turning so that she was lying to face the ceiling now.

She turned her head back to look at Peter and he smiled, which for some reason made her laugh a little, and then he started to laugh too.

"I would.....never have seen this coming." MJ said, reaching over to grab her oversized T-shirt off the floor and pulling it on.

"Sure." Peter said sarcastically, but he couldn't stop smiling.

He watched as MJ put the rest of her clothes on, and practically rolled out of bed.

"You need to get up too, Parker." MJ said, standing up and yawning. "I don't want Sophia to walk in on us. She'll tell my Dad that she saw me here with you and then he'll start lecturing me on how I should probably keep my legs closed."

Peter put on his own clothes as he listened to MJ tell him a funny story about her Dad intruding on a date she'd had in Freshman year.

"He's always so protective like that."MJ continued, tying her hair up. "Anyway, breakfast's gonna be downstairs...see you in a few."

MJ walked slowly up to the door and quickly smiled at him again before letting herself out.

Peter couldn't believe that this was the same MJ that was dissolving in tears on her bike, riding away from school. She almost seemed completely back to her normal self. He had seen so far that weekend how vulnerable she could be, but had also seen that she had an amazing sense of humour.