Ditching

"Peter...you failed English Literature...and you didn't do well in Calculus either. We wanna know what the cause of this is...you're usually not like this when it comes to test performance..."

Peter could barely hear his principal's voice because he felt that ringing sensation in his ears again.

He didn't know what was causing it. He didn't know if it was because this was the first time he'd seen May in three days, and now she was sitting beside him, folding her arms, leaning back against the chair, and occasionally sighing and giving Peter a look that was riddled with disappointment.

He didn't know if it was because he missed MJ so much that it hurt. He'd spend the past few days at Ned's house - Ned was the only other option and was willing to let Peter crash on his couch. MJ had mentioned that she'd be spending more time at home and finishing up her final therapy sessions - she had only called Peter once or twice since then.

He'd gone to school with Ned every morning and as they took the subway, Peter had stared out of the window, trying to think about something else that wasn't MJ. That wasn't the image of his girlfriend being forced down on a bed and sexually assaulted. That wasn't her face when she told him to never tell anyone. That wasn't Oscar's nonchalant tone as Peter had confronted him and he'd denied everything.

He was counting down the days until Christmas break started and he could be free of the school that he now considered as an actual living hell. But he wasn't getting away lightly, because Principal Monet had taken one good look at his grade report and called May in for a meeting. Peter had come from Ned's house to meet her there, and now they were sitting in his principal's office, and Peter felt completely demoralised.

"The thing is Peter..." Principal Monet continued, pushing up his glasses. "Your Junior year is going to be one of the most important years for your GPA, and you need to start thinking about putting forward the best college application..."

Peter felt May turn to look at him again and he thought he was going to be sick. He always seemed to feel that way nowadays.

"I'll try harder..." Peter muttered, looking down at his hands. "I'm sorry...I just...I've had a rough couple of weeks and I'm finding it really hard to concentrate..."

"So can we expect you to be okay next semester, Peter?" Principal Monet said. "You're one of our best students and it will be a shame if you let yourself down now..."

"I'll be okay..." Peter said, nodding.

"I'll make sure of it..." May sighed.

No, Peter thought. I won't be okay. I won't be fine until Oscar gets punished for what he's done.

May stood up and put her handbag around her shoulder before shaking Principal Monet's hand, and Peter felt obliged to shake his hand too, although he couldn't even force a smile.

He silently followed May out of the office and down the corridor until she stopped in her tracks suddenly and turned round to face him.

Peter saw the look of concern in her eyes and immediately felt guilty. He hadn't been honest with her at all. May used to be one of the only people on the planet who he could tell everything to, and now she felt so distant.

"Peter..." May said, gently. "I know I look like the bad guy now...and I know you're stressed for whatever reason...but you've never gotten a C in your life, so-"

"I know, May..." Peter said, shaking his head. "I've already said that I'll get it together next semester, so...can we just move on?"

"This is more than just you getting a few bad grades, Peter..." May said, pushing his curls away from his face. Peter had started to hate it when she did that, and the only person who he wanted to touch his hair was MJ.