03 | A Jet Almost Killed Me!

One thing that I hate the most when staying with someone else under the same roof was becoming a babysitter. It wasn't because I don't like children but . . . does anyone remembered of where I lived now?

Yeah. I was living with a single mother and her son. As a freeloader, his mother—June Darby—asked me to look after her son, Jack when she wasn't at home. My response was 'What?!'  because he was a freaking teenager! He could do whatever he want to spend his young life but as an overprotective mother, who totally know everything including my abilities, she trusted me to protect Jack from any dangerous situation.

I blamed Agent Fowler for bringing me into this troublesome mess.

Now, I was laying on the couch with a magazine in my hands, hovering over my face. June was at the hospital, doing her responsibility as a doctor while Jack was learning at school until afternoon. Today was an unfortunate day because not only becoming a 'babysitter' but also picking him up even though he wasn't my brother.

No one will able to replace Allen.

My eyes glanced at my watch, noticing it was time to pick him up. I sighed, starting to stand up from the couch while putting the magazine away. "Time to go." I whispered to myself. I walked to the front door, grabbing my jacket before stepping through the door. I hissed when the sunlight hit me directly in the face as if I was a vampire.

"Today's going to be a very special day for this kid." Grabbing the bracelet from my wrist, I threw it onto the ground while slowly, constructing into a hoverboard. Nano-tech was my favourite because I could store them into a bracelet. A new improvement of my creation but still need to test before sending the paperwork to the company.

I knew my Dad was the President but since he . . . died, my grandfather took his place until I solved the murder case. Grandpa knew about this mission and supported me by giving access to the company's data but he also shared the same problem with Daniel. Both of them were unable to access into Dad's private lab.

I climbed onto the board, seeing the sudden light underneath my boots. Then, I pulled myself backwards, lifting the board into the sky. It didn't take too long to arrive at his school as I lowered to the ground but at a very secluded place, didn't feel like to show my invention to the public especially when everyone was looking for me, the innocent killer.

Walking to his school, I spotted him talking with his friends and decided to step in, disturbing their conversation. "Yo, Jack!" I greeted. As I expected, Jack was surprised of my sudden presence. "I—Irene?! What are you doing here?" He asked, surprised.

"Picking you up, obviously." I replied. "What? You never picked me up." He said, curiously. Then, I sighed. "Your mom. Now, follow me." I said, grabbing his wrist. I didn't care about making him feeling uncomfortable because I just wanted to finish this stupid job and continued with my research on the murder case.

"W—Wait!" Jack retrieved his wrist, backing away from me. "I already have someone to pick me up!" He exclaimed. "Oh, really?" I asked, crossing my arms. "Show me who." Soon, I noticed his expression changed into a panicked look when I asked for him to introduce this little friend of him who came to pick him up. I also noticed how he avoided making any eye contact with me, knowing one of my abilities, which was reading minds.

"He's riding with me!" One of his friends, the Asian girl, spoke. I raised an eyebrow, glancing at her. "And why is that?" I asked, curiously. "W—We have a science fiction club!" The glasses boy answered, quickly. "After school?" I questioned. Jack grumbled with frustration, then looking at me.

"Can you please just go? I promise to come back before curfew!"

"You better be, Jack. I don't want to have another one hours lecture about how to take care of a child. I didn't married yet for heaven's sake!" I warned, which he nodded in reply. Then, I watched him hopping into a big green car with the Asian girl while the glasses boy went to the muscle car.

Damn. They really had some awesome cars!

Taking a look at my surrounding, I didn't saw anyone and use this advantage to take out my hoverboard before heading straight into the sky, above the town for about 100 feets away. I loved to use this as my own personal transport but it wasn't perfect, so it had a small possibility of going malfunctioning. June would always scolding me for testing any of my invention in the house and asked me to do it outside.

Last time, I almost burned the house when the Nano-tech was having a problem by creating uncontrollable flamethrower when I asked for a hoverboard. I stocked every data into the bracelet to create something, so I might had fifty creation or more in the bracelet but also involving my ability.

Why?

The nano-tech won't create by itself unless I ordered it by communicating through a microchip on the back of my neck. By letting the energy flow into the chip, I was able to command them to form into something such as my hoverboard. Never reached to a weapon level because . . . I don't know what would happened if I tried to use one of the weapons.

"Irene Kanzaki!"

I yelped, almost falling from the hoverboard when a jet suddenly appeared, flying beside me. I turned and noticed the troublesome man was inside of the jet. Wait . . . How could a jet got this low? I looked down and surprised to see I was like 200 to 300 feets away from the ground.

Then, I gasped when Agent Fowler flew his jet closer, almost hitting me. Is this guy want to kill me?! I growled, activating my ability to talk with him through my mind.

'What the hell are you doing?! Try to kill me?!'

'We have a problem.'

I raised an eyebrow at his direction. 'And why does it involved me?'

'What if I say there is a hint of your family's death?'

I stopped and glanced at him, noticing a smirk on his face even though he tried to hide it from me. "Tell me more." I demanded.