Chapter- 6c Ouch!

My fingers clasped and released, as an uncomfortable aura hit my eyes. I puffed my cheeks prepping myself and finally, swung the heavy door open and entered inside. By then all were standing in perfect arrangement of squares. I slowly tiptoed towards the purple section and slid in between taller kids to stand in the last row.

"Well, well. Look who's here. The celebrity of our town. Ms. Leela Das!" Coach Zach raised corners of his mouth up into an evil smile. "Come on, step out. Don't be shy..."

I crossed my hands behind my back. But the nervous clawing of fingers into each other had already begun. I didn't dare lift my gaze up. After all, I was late. More than late.

"I suppose you are a born fighter? And now it seems like you are a celebrity too? Impressive." He widened his egoistic, evil smile and pointed towards the hall and continued his drama, "what an example you've set to the 'girls' of my class! Bravo."

Was it a compliment? Certainly, it didn't sound like one.

All others started muttering and giggling, talking behind my back.

"Silence." Zach raised his palm up. I knew he could be a awful lot of a person. But that day, he took it far ahead than it was necessary. All the respect that I had for him, crumbled into dust under my feet. I didn't speak a word, even though it stung my heart. But, I didn't lift my gaze either, as if I was accepting it was all my fault.

"On your mark!" he commanded. I stepped forward hesitantly and walked past all the purples, who were standing in 'stand at ease' position -widening their legs and reached the arena, which was nothing but a royal blue mat spread across the pale wooden floor infront of us.

"You are late to 'my' class. That means punishment. Celebrity or not, every one who doesn't respect the rules of my club, needs to be punished. Right?" He asked circling me like a wolf as I traced his black shoes fading out of my vision.

"Stomach block, forward punch, two steps ahead. Go!" He instructed the fight move, yelling in an unforgiving voice.

That 'move' was a basic one, he hadn't asked us purples to do that since long -long time. I frowned, but I instantly bowed down to obey and to escape his eyes from noticing my frown. He nodded in approval.

I kicked my legs and stepped forward, showing my right flexed elbow, as if I was blocking a blowing jab and darted my fists alternatively, letting a threatening shriek out of my throat as I stopped and bowed down again, completing my task.

"Again." He laid it flat, holding his clip board behind his back.

I repeated the same movements, 'block, dart, move'. But before I could complete the last part of the move, Zach pulled my darting fists up and yelled at my face, "higher."

"AND STRAIGHTER!" He said, pressing his fist on my back bone, with a hint of disgust in his gaze

"Yes sir." I nodded.

"Louder." He screamed with a glare.

"Yes sir!" I squalled crackling my voice. Previous day's soot in my throat was totally casting its spell.

"Nick. Come here." He flicked his stubby fingers, summoning his favourite student of the club.

Nick's first step lagged hesitantly. But the next one was faster and next to that one was almost enthusiastic. He trudged and stood beside me and bowed down, bending his arrogant head a little too far down -more than it was necessary.
Perhaps, that's why he was Zach's pet student. But then again, I think I was wearing my sexist pink goggles that very day, since everyone appeared​ unmasked, unraveled and mean only towards me.