Chapter-7a Garbage pile.

"We sometimes think we want to disappear, but all we really want is to be found."
-Unknown
____________________________________________________________________________

As soon as the canteen-lady saw my face, she pointed to a black and white picture on the newspaper she was holding. "You! I know you. You were on TV the last night. Do you study here? Yes, yes of course. I have seen your silver head!" She kept poking her index into the picture, all through her star-struck yelps.

"Ha... Thanks for noticing me, finally!" I rolled my eyes, clanking my platter onto the counter top.
"And now that you have noticed, why not give me that extra yogurt you give to Alita and Peaches, huh?" I spat. She gulped nervously wiping her hands onto her black apron and started serving food.

"You know, they pay for that extra food they eat." She said, picking and placing a lump of salad on my platter with a pair of tongs.

"I don't care. And for god's sake, wash your hands! I have seen you picking nose."

Trust me, she didn't see that coming. Hence the doubtful glare. Nevertheless she swiftly turned around to wash her hands. I waited patiently tapping my hands on the metal counter until she returned and placed two cups of yogurt on my food tray.

"Gimme everything and double the quantity. Don't worry, I'll pay." I said, stuffing my back pocket to find my cafeteria credit card. She followed all my instructions and took my card and swiped it saying, "That'd be...100. But, are you sure, you are going to eat all that?"

I glanced at the platter in my hands, it almost looked like a 'food mountain' from a buffet, that my parents and I used to have back in the days. But that was one serving for all three of us to share. Well now? Umm... now I was alone. 'Am I gonna eat all that?'

"Yes!" I nodded, faking a confident look. She shrugged returning my card. I snatched the card from her hands as if she was stealing it from me and went to my usual uncool table at the corner, sassing my walk.

I scanned around the hall, it was empty. No one was there yet, as they were all busy in their morning classes. Only I was early for breakfast, since I was kicked out of mine. 'Sigh. What a great start for the day!'

As simple job as undoing bag from my shoulder itself felt tedious. I cursed under my nose and yanked it off and sat on the seat. I dug my hands into the carbs first. I mean who doesn't like finger-chips? I stuffed a hand full of them into my mouth. I didn't care whether I completely chewed it or not, I just kept stuffing my mouth with toast, salad, fries. Then repeat the same, stuff-chew-gulp. Then I impatiently tore off the silver foil on the yogurt package and stuck my spoon inside, picking up a big dollop of it.
"Mmm...so good!" I felt weird at my own food-gasmic moans.

'Heartless-Overachieving- lunatic-Antisocial-loner!'

'Overachieving anti social loner!'

Munching chews and delish moans suddenly faded, as I felt myself obsessing over Nick's words.

'How could he say something like that? About me, his childhood friend? Am I that awkward, that heartless?'

My fingers squeezed the disposable spork in my hand, as I banged it onto the table top.

"Easy there..." A voice snapped me awake, it was as soothing as ice-water on a sun-burn.
"Go easy on your food!"