Chapter 3:

Yeah. It will be a bit of swearing in this chapter. Be warned. 

Chapter 3:

Valentina's POV:

I had never seen my father lose his temper before today. Of course he had been angry at me a lot of times, (like the day I crashed his new VAN, or when I hit Tyler in the stomach with a meat knife, just because he had been teasing me), but he'd always been more disappointed than angry. He had been calm, and simply told me that I had done something bad. I had never seen him rage like this. Never. I have to confess, he scared the hell out of me.

My father's rage was what brought me back to reality. I had been lost in my own thoughts before that. I mean, this gorgeous boy, (Conner, his brother had called him), had walked over and kissed me, without any reason at all.

Yes, he had growled at us, and sent my brother flying across the room, but that wasn't important. When his lips met mine it just felt... right. It was meant to be.

After the kiss I felt rather confused. I couldn't understand why I hadn't pushed him away. Okay, I hadn't exactly led him on either, but I felt kind of embarrassed anyway. I usually didn't let guys kiss me like that. (Of course, most guys didn't try to make out with me the moment they laid eyes on me, either.)

So, I had been lost in my own thoughts when my father's voice rose to a level impossible to ignore.

"SHE IS NOT COMING WITH YOU!" my father roared, his voice trembling with rage. One glare at my mother and brother told me that they were just as surprised at me. My father never lost his temper, and he certainly didn't YELL at anyone.

"It's the only option, Robert" Scott answered calmly. It reminded me of what my father had said to Tyler earlier. The only option. Why did people keep saying that? It was always a choice. Of course, the other choice was usually not preferable.

"You can't have Valentina, no matter how much your son wants to claim her. She is only sixteen!" my mother replied. Her voice was trembling as well, but more with fear and desperation than anger.

"My son doesn't want to claim her. She is his mate. She is already his," Scott growled.

Seriously, I thought. What's up with these guys and growling?

But hey, wait a minute. Had my mother just said that they couldn't have me? What was that supposed to mean? And I'm already his...? My mind slowly put the pieces together, and the truth hit me like a hurricane.

The wolves wanted me to come with them, because of this stupid mate thing. They wanted me to come with them. Hell. I couldn't let this happen! I loved my home! I loved my family and my friends! And what about my stuff? My room? My (totally awesome) car? They couldn't just rip me out of my life because of some random guy who claimed I was his mate! Talking about mate...

"Hold on!" I yelled. I usually didn't shout at anyone, but this was a special case. "Now" I continued, once I had gotten everybody's attention, "can someone please tell me what a fucking mate is?"

Have you ever experienced an awkward silence? I guess most people have. Some silences are worse than others, though. Like when a whole bunch of people glares at you, after you've yelled at them for not including you in an important fight about how you're going to spend your future.

Conner's younger brother was the first to speak. "You don't know what a mate is?" he asked. He seemed to be rather shocked when I shook my head. I couldn't blame him. Knowing about mates was obviously important!

My father seemed to calm a bit down when he understood what kind of situation I was in.

"You know that vampires sometimes find someone called their beloved, right? A soul mate. You instantly know that it's something special about the person, and you usually fall in love with them pretty soon," he said.

"Like you and mom!" I replied. I already knew this. A lot of vampires dreamed about finding their beloved someday. Yet, it was pretty rare to actually find your beloved. It was impossible to know which century your beloved would be born into.

"Just like that!" my father agreed. "The werewolves have something similar, which they call mate. Yet, even though vampires usually feel attracted to their beloved, a werewolf can literally sense it.  They want nothing else than to be with their mate, and they love each other more than anything in the world," he explained, before he sighed and looked at me. "And that's why you're going with them."

I blinked a couple of times, before I realized what he was saying. He wanted me to go with them. He was giving me away to some boy I had just met. I almost couldn't believe it.

"No," I mumbled. I wanted to scream it at the top of my lungs, but all I could manage was a faint whisper. This couldn't be happening. He couldn't do this to me! He was my father, for God's sake!

My father slowly walked towards me, and gave me a fatherly hug. Once I was in his embrace, he started talking. Okay, more like whispering, honestly. I almost couldn't hear what he said, and he was practically talking right into my ear.

"Listen carefully, Valentina. I honestly don't wanna hand you over to your mate, but he won't stop until he gets you anyway, even if he had to rip this world apart. He will never try to harm you, but remember to never cross him," he said.

Don't cross him? What was that supposed to mean? I wanted to ask him a million questions, but he had let go of me already.

I've always hated to say goodbye, mostly because I always end up crying my eyes out. My family knew, obviously, and for once they only gave me a hug, and told me to call them once I had arrived in my new "home". I actually felt kind of empty. Usually my mom would have said a lot of sentimental crap about how "some people must stay in your heart, not your life", and my brother would have teased me because my makeup was being ruined by tears. Now it was nothing. They probably didn't want me to cry in front of the wolves, but it hurt anyway.

"Could you please tell me how old you are, Valentina?" Conner asked. We were in their car, on the way to their "Pack house". I wasn't sure what a Pack house was, but it sounded kind of cheesy.

"Please call me Val," I replied, "Valentina is way to sugar sweet. And I'm sixteen." I had decided that I could give this people a chance. Okay, that wasn't entirely true. I had decided to try being polite, because I would only make the situation worse for all of us, if I didn't.

Conner's younger brother, Ryan, I had learned by now, laughed. His laugh was cute, just like the boy itself. It was the kind of laughter that affected everyone in the surroundings, and made them wanna smile as well.

"I think Valentina is cute" Conner said, and grinned at me. For some reason his grin made me happy. It didn't make sense to me. He was the only reason I was here in the first place, and now I felt good just because I had made him happy? This mate stuff obviously affected me as well.

Conner asked me questions during the entire road trip, and I answered patiently. I actually learned a lot of stuff about him, as well. He was eighteen years old, he enjoyed listening to music, and his favorite topic was history. (He also told me that he preferred his coffee with milk, and that he thought pink shoelaces was awesome, but I didn't count it as useful information.)

After what seemed like an eternity of endless questions, the car finally stopped in front of a big mansion. I took a deep breath before I stepped out of the car.

It was official. I was in a wolf territory. With my mate.  

Okey. This chapter is probably kind of boring, but I needed to write this part anyway. :)