Chapter 19

I'm late as usual, but here is chapter 19. (Obviously). 

Chapter 19

Valentina’s POV:

«Kill her.»

Just two words, yet it filled me with a coldness beyond words. I was pretty sure my heart would’ve beat like crazy if I wasn’t a vampire. But I was a vampire, and pretty soon I would be a dead vampire instead. Like really dead, not just undead.

I had never thought much about death. I was immortal, my father had a bunch of guards at home, and I didn’t have any enemies. Of course, I knew I would die someday, after a millennia or two, but I never expected it to be soon. I hadn’t paid death any more thought after I loved in with Conner. Okay, I had thought about death, but then I had worried about Conner dying, not myself. And I had thought I was going to spend eternity alone. I guess fate have her small ironies.

Rosalie lifted her hand, and I prepared for the stake to pierce me. For a moment I considered praying, but I settled for closing my eyes instead. God wasn’t really my thing.

I could her Rosalie inhale, and I expected the blow to come the second that followed. It didn’t. Instead it was like the presence behind me disappeared.

I opened my eyes, and was met by the most welcoming sight ever. My brother, Tyler, stood there, grinning like a madman. He held a sword in his hand, and it was covered in a dark, red liquid. Blood. It should’ve made me feel bad, but it didn’t. I could smell Rosalie’s scent from the sword, and she deserved everything she got. Having a mate is no excuse for betrayal.

A surprised sound reminded me of the fact that Logan was still here. He had straightened up, and he was glaring at Rosalie’s corps. Well, part of it, anyway. Her head lay servile meters from the rest of the body. It was impossible to know how he felt. On moment he looked like he was grieving, and a second later it was like he couldn’t care less. His face settled at one emotion, though. Rage.

Logan growled at Tyler, and got up on his feet. The urge to run for my life was almost overwhelming, but I managed to hold my ground. Okay, I took a few steps backwards, but those can hardly count.

 Logan’s wolf had probably acted on pure instinct when he got into a fighting position, otherwise he would probably thought about using Conner as a hostage. Conner had, fortunately, not forgotten about himself, so he got up as well, and changed into his wolf form.

It was pretty impressive, the way he turned from a human into a wolf, and it was kind of a pity that it happened under these circumstances. Otherwise it could’ve been a big turn on.

For a moment I thought victory was certain. We were three versus one, after all. (Okay, more like two and a half versus one, but that’s details.) That was, until three more werewolves appeared between the trees. This could get really nasty.

“Where are the rest?” I asked Tyler, while I tried to keep the wolves and Logan in sight at once.

“Rest?” Tyler asked, not really paying attention to me. He looked calculating at the wolves instead, probably trying to figure out how strong they were. The little hope I had left blew away with his words. And I had thought I had a plan that couldn’t fail. Okay, I knew it wasn’t indestructible, but I had thought it was an average plan, at least.

“You promised to bring at least a dozen vampires when I called you,” I snapped, unable to hide the hopelessness in my voice.

“Oh… That,” Tyler said carelessly, like it wasn’t of any importance. “I took a bunch of vampires with me, but they’re all at the battlefield. I figured I could handle a few werewolves on my own.”