Chapter 17

I could make a whole bunch of excuses for why I haven’t updated, (I do have a lot of reasons), but you’re probably more interested in the chapter, so I’m just gonna skip that part. 

Chapter 17:

Valentina’s POV:

I had never had any problems with waiting. When you grow up immortal you soon realize that time isn’t important, no matter what mortals tells you. Vampires don’t care about time. At least not the way mortals do. So no, I had never had a problem with waiting. That was, until now.

Now everything was different. I knew why, of course. Conner was in danger. Hell, he was fighting a bloody war, and I could only pray for his return.

Once, I had asked Conner why I didn’t feel the pull as strong as he did. He had answered that he couldn’t be sure, but his guess was that it had something with the fact that vampires were weaker than werewolves. Humans didn’t feel the pull as strong as werewolves did, after all, and that was to make sure that the humans wouldn’t put themselves in danger in order to save a wolf.

Of course this could’ve made a lot of sense, if not for the fact that the average vampire weren’t as weak as I was. Fighting isn’t all about strength, and most vampires had centuries of fighting experience, making them quite difficult to beat in a battle.

No, my guess was that vampires are immortal. Werewolves are not. I was already growing seriously attached to Conner, and we had just met. Imagine what it would be like if we were together for ten years. Twenty. Fifty. Conner would become an old man, and he would eventually die of old age, if nothing else. What would I do then?

Imagine what it would’ve been like if I felt the mate bond the same way Conner did. I would’ve been beyond grief when he died. The other pack members had told my stories about how werewolves who lost their mates never became the same. Never quite happy again. I couldn’t help but to wonder how it would have been to spend millenniums without finding rest.

Even now I knew that my heart would never heal completely if Conner died. Yes, I would probably find someone new after a thousand years or so, but it would not be the same.

Don’t ask me how I know this. I’m sixteen, after all. I’m not supposed to understand how love works. Yet, I knew that nobody could ever replace the empty space Conner would leave in my heart if he died.

“Do you think they’re finished yet?” I asked. Rosalie stopped biting her nails, only to roll her eyes at me. I had been asking the same question over and over.

“No Val, I don’t think they’re finished. They’re probably just getting started,” Rosalie asked patiently. Under normal circumstances would patiently probably be the last word I would have described Rosalie with, (she was usually extremely overenthusiastic and high on sugar,) but today Rosalie acted like an adult. Or more like an adult, anyway.

“God, I wish…” I started, but stopped once I saw Rosalie’s expression change. For a moment I thought I saw hatred and despair, but then it changed into worry instead. It was almost like I had imagined it. “What’s up, Rose?”

“Conner… He told me that he’s losing. An ambush,” Rose answered. I was horrified. Conner’s only advantage had been the moment of surprise, and if Logan had set a trap for him… But how could he have done that? How could he had known?

I started to feel slightly paranoid, and glared from Rosalie to Ryan. One of them could have done it. Maybe they just waited for the right chance to strike? Maybe… I stopped myself before I got any further. It could’ve been anyone in the pack, and there wasn’t any point in accusing one another. Heck, it could even be some sort of electronic device. A microphone, or something. It wouldn’t help to accuse anyone of betrayal.