Chapter 16:

Yeah. Sorry for not writing in a while. I've been kinda busy. 

If you wanna listen to the song, do it at the end. 

Chapter 16:

Conner’s POV:

«And you promise to stay here?» I asked Val for the 325th time. I was about to leave for the battle, and I was just finishing taking my goodbyes. Well, of course I hoped it wouldn’t be goodbye forever, but it was a big chance that I would never see the love of my life again after this.

Val rolled her eyes at me, obviously annoyed by my concern. “Yes, I’m gonna stay here with Ryan and Rosalie,” she assured me.

“No matter what?”

“Even if the building is burning,” she replied, dead serious.

“You’re impossible,” I complained, and kissed her forehead lightly.

Valentina giggled, before she got a serious look at her face. “Promise me that you’ll come back for me,” she whispered.

I sighed deeply, and avoided her eyes. Glared at a point above her head, and tried to keep my voice stead when I answered. “You know I can’t promise that.”

Val made a pained sound, and I looked back at her face again. She was fighting her tears, and the sight broke my heart. I didn’t want her to suffer like this!

“Pleas Conner… You have to return. Otherwise I’ll… I’ll have to spend an eternity on my own, and I can’t do that,” she said. Her checks were cowered in tears now, so she had obviously given up fighting them.

“I can’t promise that I will return” I muttered, “But my heart will always be with you, Val. I’ll love you till I die, and if is an afterlife, then I’m gonna continue loving you afterwards as well. I don’t know how death works, but if it is some kind of life after death, no matter what, I’m gonna find you, and I’m gonna love you again!”

Valentina glared at me for a moment, before she started to cry again. I hugged her tightly, and she rested her head on my chest. My shirt was getting wet, but I couldn’t care less.

“I love you” I said, before I let go of her.

“I love you too” Val replied, not bothering to dry her tears.

I turned around, and left for the door, without turning back. I didn’t kiss her, and I certainly didn’t look behind me. I knew that if I did, I wouldn’t be able to leave her. I would give my pack over to Logan, and spend my entire life without letting Val out of my sight. Anything to make her happy. Yet I kept my duties, and walked out of the pack house without shredding a tear. Not that I didn’t want to.

Once again I was standing in front of the pack house, glaring down at a crowd of werewolves, ready to give a speech. Well, I should have been ready to give a speech, but Valentina had kept me from preparing one. I could only hope that my pack wouldn’t mind some improvisation.

“This is it, guys,” I said, starting my epic wannabe speech. “No more speeches or talking. No more preparations. No more discussions about tactics. It’s now or never, guys. You all know what you’re supposed to do, and now is the time to do it!” The crowd cheered loudly, and I couldn’t help but to wonder if they were cheering because of my speech, or because it might be their last chance to make a lot of noise.

I usually loved to run. The leafs under my feet. The threes that popped up everywhere, and the wind which always blew right in my face. Above all, I loved the speed. The rush of adrenaline you got for running faster than any other creature in the world. When I ran, I felt free. Like all worries disappeared. But not now. This time I was running towards my problems, not leaving them behind. Today I didn’t notice any of the nature around me, and my usual sense of freedom was gone. Probably a side effect of war, or the fact that many of my pack members would die tonight.