19. Bailey

I thankfully have the house to myself tonight. My mom and dad are having a romantic, Valentines Day dinner, Ian is at the party I was supposed to go to, and Nick is working.

It's bizarre that Nick has lived here for less than two months, and yet it's hard to remember what it was like when it was just the four of us. He so seamlessly fit into our family, and it helps that he was here all the time even before he moved in officially. 

I'm in the living room in yoga pants and an over-sized SIU sweatshirt, eating popcorn and watching a movie, when I hear someone come in the front door. I look up to see Nick. He must have gotten off work early.

"Oh. Hey. I didn't think you'd be here," he says as he walks by the living room.

I shrug, "I told you I didn't have plans. I meant it."

"I just thought you were upset, I guess. I've never seen you stay in on Friday night." He looks at the TV. "Holy shit. Wayne's World? I haven't seen this forever. I used to fucking love this movie."

"Do you want to watch it with me?" I ask before my mind has time to catch up to my mouth. Why did I say that? He's made it clear that he wants to stay away from me. I'm just subjecting myself to more rejection.

"Sure." He surprises me by saying.

He collapses onto the opposite end of the couch—as far from me as possible.

Watching the movie with him is surprisingly not awkward. We both laugh at the same parts and share the huge bowl of popcorn that sits between us. My hand grazes his three and half times while reaching for more...not that I'm counting.

Once the credits start rolling, I say, "I think I'm going to watch another, if you want."

He looks over at me and holds eye contact for just a second longer than socially acceptable. It sends a warm feeling through me. "What movie?"

I snap out of my trance and try to play off the moment. "Well, Robinson, you will learn soon enough that I am obsessed with 90s comedy. So next on the agenda is Tommy Boy."

He smiles, "Seriously? I did not know that."

"Well you don't know everything about me," I say as I stand up to change DVDs. "I swear I was born in the wrong decade."

That makes him laugh out loud, and, again, I can feel the sound inside my chest. "You know, when most people say that, they're talking about the '50s, or 60s, or even the 70s. Not the fucking 90s." He's still laughing.

"What can I say? I'm not like most people."

His laughing eventually subsides. "No. You definitely are not."

As the previews start, he points to my laptop on the coffee table. "Can I use that? Mine's upstairs."

I nod, and he pulls it onto his lap. "What's your password?"

When I open my mouth, he interrupts, "Nevermind."

He types something in and my background lights up.

"How did you know?" I ask, shocked that he guessed.

"You're too predictable. The name of your first pet, followed by your birthday?"

I shrug, "I'll never forget then."

We sit in comfortable silence for a few minutes until Nick says "Holy shit."