24. Nick

Bailey did her best to avoid Nick for the rest of the dance, which wasn't difficult. She continued to be surrounded by her annoying, giggling girlfriends just like she had been before receiving her crown.

He watched her maneuver around like she's the Queen of England as soon as they entered the dance. That's why he couldn't believe her sudden stage fright at the coronation. But he loved the fact that he was the one to help her through it.

He's sure he made a complete ass of himself during their dance, though. Everything was just so...overwhelming—wonderful, fantastic, mind blowing, but overwhelming.

It was too much for his senses. Hearing the song that he knows means so much to her—and therefore, to him. Feeling her skin between the two pieces of her dress that feels like a cloud. He leaned down to touch his lips to top of her head, feeling her hair against his lips. Being so close that he's able to smell her subtle perfume, or lotion, or hell, maybe that was just the scent of her. He didn't know.

But most of all is the sight of her. God, she looks so beautiful tonight. She always does, but Nick isn't able to take his eyes off of her. When he saw her appear at the top of the stairs at home, he thought he was dreaming. She was...perfect.

He's convinced that dancing with this angel is as close to heaven as he will probably ever be.

He's never really understood the term "speechless" until that moment, but he does now. He had so many thoughts scrambling his brain that he wasn't able to articulate a single one.

After the final song of the evening—which he spent in the hallway outside the gym in order to avoid watching Bailey dance with whoever she chose—all the students made their way home to prepare for the real festivities.

He's sitting in the back of Ian's car with Bailey, and Ian and his girlfriend are in the front. They've all changed into casual clothes and are on the way to the after party. Mandy's boyfriend picked her up at Bailey's house, and thanked Nick for bringing her to the dance. He seemed like an okay guy.

Bailey still looks dolled up in the way that looks like she's wearing nothing at all, but she's wearing cut off jean shorts that show off her legs. He wants to reach across the seat to feel how smooth they are, but he won't, of course.

Nick is grateful that Ian hasn't stopped talking since leaving the house. It's making an uncomfortable situation be slightly more comfortable.

"I mean...you know we live in a small town when we go from a prom where everyone spent hundreds of dollars on outfits to an after party in a fucking cow field. I seriously can't wait to get to California," Ian rants.

"I wish you wouldn't talk about that. I'm not looking forward to the long distance," Ian's girlfriend pouts.

Nick looks at Bailey, and they both roll their eyes. There is no way Ian is going to stay dating her when he leaves for college. He just hasn't let her know that yet. Nick is sure that Ian probably likes her, but he's not going to want be tied down to anyone when he finally gets out of Illinois.

Bailey looks out the window and sits up straight. "Where the hell did they get the couches?"

They've arrived at their destination, and Nick sees a huge bonfire surrounded by three or four tattered looking couches surrounding it. He answers Bailey, "A bunch of guys have been watching for free couches on the side of road since like January to bring out here."

She looks disgusted. "Seriously? Good to know. I'll be avoiding those then. Who knows where they've been."

Ian parks the car in the makeshift row that's been formed and they pile out. There's about thirty people here already, which is approximately half of their class.

As soon as he's sees them, Derek comes running over. They never did find him at the dance. When they all left in the limo, he was nowhere to be found, but he obviously was able to catch a ride from someone to here in the middle of nowhere. He's the only one still wearing a tux, although it's sans his tie and jacket.

"Bailey!!!" He runs up to her and throws his arms over her shoulders in a sloppy hug. "I'm soooo sorry, girl. I can't believe I passed out. That Rebecca chick offered this killer weed, and, I don't know, it just hit me hard. I can't believe I missed it."

She looks over his shoulder at Nick and says, smiling, "It all worked out."

"See, I knew you couldn't stay mad at me," Derek says before nuzzling his face into her neck, making her laugh. She pushes him away playfully.

Nick isn't amused by the interaction. He knows he has no right to be jealous, and, although Derek seems to have sobered up a little, he's obviously still inebriated.

Nevertheless, Nick moves to stand next to Bailey, hoping Derek will then step away. It doesn't work.

The drunk asshole drapes his arm over Bailey's shoulders once again and leads her closer to the fire.

"To make amends," Derek slurs, "I've come bearing gifts for the King and Queen."

He reaches onto one of couches and dramatically bows in front of Ian and Bailey presenting a bottle of José Cuervo.

Bailey is still smiling, and Nick is pissed that it's for someone other than him. "You didn't need to, Derek. It was really fine."

Ian grabs the bottle from the still kneeling Derek. "Fuck it. It's prom."

He takes the lid off and takes one long swig before handing it to Bailey. She shrugs and follows suit. She then hands it to Nick.

Nick doesn't drink often. He always feels kind of guilty about getting shit-faced while Ian has to stay sober, so he usually just ends up smoking weed when he feels the need to not be sober. But Ian is right. It's his senior prom, fuck it.

He tilts his head back and chugs from the bottle until his chest burns and hands it back to Bailey. "That's enough of that shit. Where's the keg?"

Derek giggles like a damn school girl and points to the other side of the fire. Ian starts the other direction, "I'm setting up my tent now because I plan on being too fucking hammered to see straight later."

Shit. Nick forgot about sleeping. He didn't bring a tent, and he's pretty sure he's not invited to Ian and Amanda's. He'll just sleep in the car.

He waves Ian off and turns to enjoy the party.

I have the next few chapters already written, but I wrote them in a hurry and feel the need to read over them once or twice to make sure that make sense lol. But they'll be up ASAP