50. Bailey

Dear Lord, if you could strike me dead here and now, I would appreciate it.

I say my silent prayer the entire way through dinner. This has got to be the most awkward situation of my life, which is saying a lot.

My grandma got her usual bucket of chicken from KFC for the occasion. Evan would never normally eat something as unhealthy as this, but the idea of him being rude to my grandma is completely unfathomable. So he swallows the food with as much enthusiasm as he can fake.

He's not nervous at all. He's not only answering all my parents' questions about himself, but he's also initiating conversations with the table. He places his relaxed hand on my leg, and I look up at Nick for the first time. He's not looking at me.

So many emotions hit me when I saw him standing next to my grandma. Joy, hopefulness, desire, terror, and fear, just to name a few. I haven't laid eyes on him since this summer. His hair is long enough that he can tuck it behind his ear, like he hasn't gotten it cut at all—which doesn't surprise me.

What was he doing here anyway? This is just supposed to be family. Although it is debatable that Nick is practically a part of our family too.

I tried to shake everything off when I saw Ian round the corner from the kitchen. I ran to him and hugged him. I haven't seen him since the day he left for school. I hoped no one noticed that I didn't say hi to Nick.

Nick hasn't said a word all night—even through all the introductions. He shook Evan's hand but didn't meet his eyes, or mine. I feel awful about this. I never would have brought Evan here if I had thought Nick would be here. It seems cruel, even though it shouldn't. He rejected me, not the other way around.

It would be his hand on my leg right now if he wouldn't have pushed me away. I know that's the truth, and I'm pretty sure he does, too.

The drunk text messages the other night were my attempt at an olive branch. If we were going to be living together for the next month, we needed to at least be friendly.

But when I saw the look on his face when Evan wrapped his arm around me, I knew we couldn't be friends.

My thoughts are interrupted by a knock on the front door. "I'll get it!" I say before anyone else has a chance. I need to get out of this room, even if it's only for a moment.

When I open the door, my eyes start to water instantly. It's Mandy. It's my best friend, cousin, savior, ally, who I haven't seen in half of a year.

"Since when does Grandma lock the door?" She asks.

I don't answer and pull her into a hug. I wrap my arms around her tightly, and she does the same to me. "Oh my God. I missed you, Bai. You have no idea."

"I missed you too." I still don't let her go. "So much has happened, and I don't even know where to begin."

I feel her head nod against my shoulder. "I'm home for two weeks. We'll have time."

I smile gratefully even though I know she can't see me.

"Who's here?" I hear Grandma yell from the dining room.

"It's me!" Mandy yells, breaking the hug.

"Mandy?!? Get your ass in here!" Grandma yells, chuckling.

We walk into the room together, and Mandy hugs everyone at the table, insisting they don't stand up. "And who's this?" She asks when she gets to Evan.

"This is Evan, my boyfriend," I interject.

Mandy's eyebrows rise and I see her shoot a quick glance in Nick's direction. "I see. Nice to meet you," she says, patting him on the back. She mouths the words "What the fuck?" to me before sitting down at the only available seat, next to Evan.