39. Bailey

The air is cold tonight. I'm glad I brought my coat as I run outside to Evan's car. Evan and I are meeting some of his friends in his physical therapy program on their last day of classes before thanksgiving break.

Since I'm nineteen, I can get in the bar. I just can't drink. The bouncer places two huge, black X's on the back of my hands to ward off any potential bartenders who may feel pity on me. I just hope the ink will come off by tomorrow.

His friends see us enter and wave us over to their table. Evan gets himself a beer and me a Sprite while the group begins to discuss some torn meniscus and back spasms. After twenty minutes of this, I begin to space out. I don't understand a word they are saying.

I think about tomorrow. Evan and I are driving the two hours to the skydiving company. We have a few hours of teaching, but then we're doing it. I...am...jumping...out...of...a...plane.

Six months ago, I would have laughed if someone would have told me this. Evan has opened up a whole new side of me, and I actually really like it. I even join him at the student center gym sometimes. I typically spend my time walking slowly on a treadmill, watching the TVs. But it still counts.

After our adventure tomorrow, we are both heading to our hometowns for the week. Evan hinted at the fact that he wanted to come with me, to meet my family, but I shot him down. I explained that Ian isn't even going to be there.

His break isn't long enough to justify traveling all the way back to Illinois, so Evan wouldn't get to meet him anyway. That seemed to make sense to him, thankfully.

I don't really fully understand why I don't want Evan to meet my family. I like him, a lot, and I love spending time with him. He's a great kisser and makes me laugh, and he's always down for a fun time. But bringing him home just feels so real.

We still haven't gone further sexually than we did the first night of our relationship. He's not a virgin, and he knows I'm not, so I'm sure he is wondering what I'm waiting for.

I wish I knew. For some reason, I almost feel guilty at the idea of sleeping with him, which is absurd. I don't even know who I would feel guilty towards.

That's a lie. It's Nick.

Some part of me can't let him go. I felt like I was getting close, until he texted me on my birthday. It was a simple "Happy Birthday" and "Thank You" exchange, but I can't get it out of my head. He was thinking about me. He hadn't forgotten.

Why should I care anyway? Abby's right. He is an asshole. He said the things he said to me because he knew they would hurt me. That's why he did it. So why am so willing to forgive him? It's pathetic.

Everyone at the table is beginning to get tipsy, and in my sober state, I'm over it. Evan has barely said a word to me since we got here, in a heated discussion with some girl about one of their instructors.

I feel my phone vibrate and breathe a sigh of relief. It might be Abby in a state of emergency which needs my immediate assistance. I'm sure Evan could get a ride home with someone else.

I remember, though, that Abby's not even in town. She left for her parents' house this morning. Well there goes that possibility. Maybe Mandy decided to come home for the holiday after all...

I look down, and my heart skips a beat when I see the name on my screen. Nick. It's a long message so I need to open it to read the whole thing.

Nick: So I'm at this club and it happens to be 90s night. I'm currently in a very serious discussion & I need to ask the undisputed queen of 90s movies. Billy Madison or Happy Gilmore?

I smile at my screen before looking up to see if anyone is looking at me. No one is.

Me: First of all, there's a club there that has 90s night?!?

He responds right away.

Nick: I'll need to bring you here sometime. You'd love it.

The king of mixed signals has just upped his game. What the hell? Why would he invite me anywhere? And I don't even know if I'm happy, sad, or mad.

"Who are you talking to?" Evan asks me quietly, making me jump in my seat.

I bring myself back to the present and turn my screen off quickly. "Abby."

I hate lying to him, and I plan on telling him about Nick at some point. Now is obviously not the time, though.

"Is something wrong? You look worried."

I force a smile. "No, everything's fine."

He leans over to whisper in my ear. "Sorry tonight is so boring. I know you don't care about any of this stuff."

"It's fine, really," I whisper back.

"We'll leave as soon as we get a chance, okay? You know I'd rather just be with you anyway." As he says this, he nuzzles into my neck, tickling me.

This man is so good. I was texting my (kind of) ex while he was just thinking about me. I don't deserve him.

Evan turns back to the conversation, and I send one more text. Instead of commenting on his last one, I simply reply "Billy Madison, no contest."

He responds right away, like he's been waiting for me.

Nick: Yes! That's what I said! I'll tell her you agree with me.

And there it is, the same old Nick. Of course he's with a girl. Some things never change.

Short chapter! And I'm sorry. I will try to update again later today, but I'm going wedding dress shopping with my sister (for her, not me) and not sure what time I will get back. Once again, thank you for reading!