Sunsets and Stars (24)

The sun was already mostly set when Gabriel opened the basket and pulled out sodas, chips, an assortment of sandwiches, and lots of candy. "She didn't forget the candy."

"How could she if that's what you live off of." He holds his head up high and puts on a smug smile.

"It runs in my veins." I chuckle and pick up one of the sandwiches. We eat in relative silence.

"Thank you." I say quietly.

"For what?"

"This, everything." He chuckles and places his head on my shoulder.

"You're welcome, Sam." I put my head on his and we watched the sun set. When the stars were out, he stood up and went a few steps away from the blanket. He held his hand out to me. "Care to dance?" I stood up and took his hand and we started to dance slowly. "Dad has changed your adoption."

"Hm? Why?"

"Well, because we're in a relationship, he thought it best if he were to put you into the system and foster you."

"Oh." He smiled up at me.

"He won't let you be taken away from us, trust me." I was happy, of course, but I couldn't help feel like something was still too easy about all of this. "Sam?"

"Hm?" He stopped.

"What's wrong?"

"Nothing." He frowned and crossed his arms.

"It's not nothing, you look like you're thinking." I didn't want to ruin this nice evening, so I just smiled.

"Don't worry, I'll tell you later. I don't want to spoil this evening." His smile returned.

"Okay." He began to bounce on his feet. "I'll let you kiss me if you can catch me."

"What?" He bounced off towards the other side of the field. "You and I both know you're more physically adept!"

"You act like I'm going to make it hard for you!" I roll my eyes and begin to run towards him. He looks a bit surprised before dodging my attempt to grab him. "Well, I am, just a little bit." He runs into the tree line and I grin.

"Okay. The game is on."

~~~

It only took me about five minutes to find him and when I did, his back was to me and he was giggling. I carefully and quietly walked up behind him and picked him up. "Gotcha!" He let out a little shriek before laughing. I fall on my back, letting out a little grunt before laughing along with him. He looks down at me, a small smile on his face. "I love you."

"I love you too Sam." I pull him closer to me and kiss him softly.

Okay, extremely short chapter, but I've been hit with the Big Sad really really hard. So much so that currently, I feel like walking out of my school and get hit by a car or bus, whichever one. That and I can't do soft stuff for very long, I run out of ideas.