51. Meeting

Yo Into The Spider-Verse was so good everyone needs to see it

----

Tony had prepared for their arrival, that much was immediately clear. Though the billionaire himself disappeared into the winding hallways of the complex after he didn't greet the team, they were each led to private living quarters by Happy Hogan. Natasha, Sam and Steve had all previously lived in the facility, however they were not shown their old rooms. Instead, Tony had planned to house all four companions in a cluster, two rooms on each side of a hallway. Natasha and Sam on one side, and Steve and Bucky on the other. It was also found that a door was inputted, connecting Steve and Bucky's rooms together, though Sam and Natasha's rooms didn't have the same dynamic. It was a thoughtful touch, one that surprised Steve thoroughly, and gave him hope for repairing his and Tony's friendship.

Everyone had been surprised that Tony had extended the invitation to Bucky, his reasons for doing so still clouded. The team could only anticipate what kind of battle was on the horizon if Tony felt the need to call in people that he probably would rather to never see again. Thus, the air was tense as the remainder of Team Cap gathered in a small meeting room, in a secluded wing of the complex. They had received the instructions to meet over an intercom in their rooms, and had seen the walk over quietly talking amongst themselves about what could be coming. They were alone in the room, unsure if Tony would be joining them. At the table, two chairs were empty, implying that he planned, or had planned, to bring someone else.

But what the four didn't expect was for a wizard to be the first to enter.

The man was tall, with a slim build and facial hair to rival Tony Stark's. However the most striking thing about him was his attire, as the man was dressed in blue cloth robes that hugged his frame, and a large pendant hung off a golden chain, suspended on the center of his chest. There was also the matter of the large, vibrant red cape that brushed the floor, its collar popped up.

"Who the hell is Harry Potter over here?" Sam whispered to Natasha, who just shrugged in return.

Though the man immediately startled the four, he seemed to be unbothered by them, and barely swept his eyes over the team as he entered the room, an aura of confidence and seriousness following him. Soon after the wizard, the familiar face of Tony Stark came into the room, his sunglasses from earlier gone, and his tired eyes exposed to the room's occupants. The pair took their seats, the wizard silently, and Tony with a great huff. Without a moments delay, the stranger began to speak.

"My name is Doctor Stephen Strange," he began, his voice clear and deep, "Sorcerer Supreme of the New York Sanctum. Today-"

"Hold up." Sam interrupted, crossing his arms and staring at Stephen disbelievingly. "You're actually a wizard?" 

Even though his comment clearly annoyed the doctor, a small snort came from Tony, who appeared to be avoiding eye contact with everyone at the table except for Stephen. At the man's almost unnoticeable sign of happiness, everyone else dropped the matter, and sat in silence for a moment. Steve reminisced on the days when Tony would have said at least five sarcastic comments on the situation, instead of snorting under his breath. The thought sobered him.

Stephen cleared his throat, ready to move on. "You've all been brought here in the event of an emergency situation, i.e. an actual battle." He explained.

"So there isn't a fight?" Natasha asked, staring at Stephen with distrust. Every now and then her eyes flickered to Tony, but she never held them on him for long. Everyone shot glances at the man, except for Bucky. Bucky simply pushed himself back into his chair, and didn't dare look at the man.