Chapter Eight

Lauren was hysterical. She was screaming and yelling and crying. The police were doing the best they could to calm her down. Esther was frantically gripping to Philip.

   "I didn't do it, Pip. I didn't do it!" She cried. Philip grabbed her by the shoulders and dragged her into the bathroom. He shut and locked the door, then ran his hands through his hair. "I-I didn't do it. I would never hurt her." Philip rested his hands on her shoulders gently.

   "I know, Est. I know that." He reassured her. "I thought they would too. But grief can make people do strange things. Keep your head high." She nodded. "I'm going to go and talk to the police. You stay here. Do what you need to cope. I'll come get you if you're needed." With that he left. The police were getting statements from everyone.

   "Kathy was my best friend. She was like my little sister. I can't believe anyone would do this to her." Lauren was saying. The officer wrote everything down in his notepad.

   "She was so close to Adam." Matt murmured, "She took it so hard when he died. I guess she took it harder than we thought. I just never thought she would..." He swallowed deeply. The police man nodded.

   "I fell asleep with Esther. She was worked up after Adam's death and I can always manage to calm her. I didn't wake up until the next morning." Philip lied. "I took a shower and then went to talk to everyone else. Esther was on the balcony when I woke up." The officer nodded.

   "It looks like the only person's statement we need now is Esther's. Where is she?" The officer asked. Philip pointed to the bathroom.

   "She's in there." Philip told her. "But, um, please be easy on her. She has some mental issues." The officer nodded.

   "It's ok. I'm a professional. I can handle those with mental issues." She told him. With that she went into the bathroom. The other officers had already left. When the officer who had gone to interview came back, she went over to Philip. "I'd like to talk to you a bit more about Esther's mental state to confirm that everything she says is credible and what she's capable of. Can we step outside for a moment?" Philip nodded and followed her outside.

   Everyone sat in silence. Just sitting there thinking. Some were crying silently. Esther sat in the bathroom, covering her mouth so no one could hear her laughing. Philip came back into the room and went directly to the bathroom. He opened the door and slipped inside.

   "I told the officer you had mental problems. You're welcome." He told her. She nodded and managed to stop laughing.

   "Thanks. You definitely saved my ass." She said, pushing herself up. He nodded.

   "No problem." He looked toward the door. "You okay?" She looked at him.

   "Philip? Have you ever done anything you've regretted?" She asked. He looked back towards her.

   "Constantly. Why?" Her eyes searched his face.

   "No reason." She clarified. Then she smiled and walked out. He followed shortly after.