Chapter Nine

A thick silence lay in the room. Lauren was dying. No, not literally. But she felt like it. Kathy was gone. Gone. Lauren glared at Esther.

   "Why do you keep laughing?! I bet you killed her!" She spat. Esther flinched. "Our friends died and you just laugh!" Esther stood.

   "I am allowed to handle grief however I want." Esther countered. "You don't know how I felt, and you don't know how I feel. So don't tell how I should fucking handle how things happen! Don't fucking accuse me of murder! They were both my friends!!" Esther knew she was about to laugh. So she did the only thing she could think of to stop it. She screamed. Her hands found their way to her arms and she dug her nails in as hard as she could.

   "Esther stop!" Philip yelled. He tried to pull her hands off but she pushed him away.

   "Don't fucking touch me!!" She screamed. Tears began to fall from Eleanor's eyes. She ran to Esther and hugged her tightly.

   "It's ok. I believe you." She told Esther. Esther hesitantly hugged her back and cried. Philip went out onto the balcony and lit a cigarette. Ty looked at each person carefully. Esther pulled away after a little bit them went over to the closet. She opened the door, stepped in and closed the door behind her.

   Ty's eyes flicked around the before he hurried into the bathroom and locked the door. He began to sweat profusely. He turned on the sink and splashed water on his face. He looked up at the mirror and stared at his reflection. Then he gave a weak smile.

   "Come on Tyler. Keep it up." He muttered. "Just a little longer, then you can get away." He took a deep breath and then he walked back out.

   "Are you okay, Ty?" John asked as he came out. Ty nodded.

   "Y-yeah." He said, trying to think of an excuse. "It's just hard to cope." John put his arm around Ty's shoulders.

   "We get it." John reassured. "It's ok if you cry. We understand." The others nodded. Ty wished he could've told them, but they would never understand. Esther emerged from the closet. She made her way to the balcony and stood next to Philip. He put his cigarette down and stared straight forward.

   "Sorry..." Esther murmured. Philip looked at her.

   "Do not say sorry. You have nothing to be sorry for. I promise you that." He said harshly. "If you say sorry one more time I swear I will... I will do something and it will not be pretty." Esther chuckled.

   "Oh, I'm so scared." She joked sarcastically. Silence followed for a couple moments. "Thanks, Pip. For everything." He nodded.

   "You're welcome."