Chapter Twelve

John woke up the next morning with a yawn. He stood up and stretched before looking around. Philip and Ty were both in their respectful beds, still sleeping. The only one missing was Esther. He gave a quick glance around the room, looking for her. The bathroom door was shut.

   "Darn it." He thought to himself. "She must be in the washroom." He slowly walked over, being careful not to make any noise so he wouldn't awaken anyone. He gave a soft tap on the door when he reached it. "Esther?" He whisper loud enough for it to breach the bathroom door. "Are you almost done in there?" There was no reply. "Est, it's John." He spoke a bit louder. "Are you in there?" After a moment with no answer, he grew a bit impatient. "I'm coming in. So, sorry if I walk in on you." He twisted the door handle and walked in, stopping in his tracks immediately.

   There in the bathtub, lay Esther's naked body. She was almost completely submerged in water, her head just barely managing to stay above it. John stood in horror at the sight, as if not being able to fully apprehend it, before his brain finally kicked in.

   "Esther!!" He screamed, hoping someone would wake up and help him. He basically threw himself to the tub, housting her out of the water and onto the floor. He grabbed a nearby towel and wrapped it around her. He checked her pulse. Barely there. "Philip!!" John screamed as loud as he could. "Philip please help!!!!" Footsteps sounded outside. They weren't very rushed, but moderately rushed for having just woken up.

   "What is it John?" Came Philip's annoyed voice as he was approaching the bathroom. He finally reached it and stopped dead in his tracks. "Esther?!" He hurried over and knelt down beside them. "What happened?!" John shook his head and began giving her CPR.

   "I don't know. She was passed out in the bath when I found her." He explained while giving her chest firm pumps. "It doesn't seem like she ingested any water. You got any dope?" Philip stopped and gave him a look. "Not for me, idiot. We don't have smelling salts." Philip nodded and quickly left, coming back a moment later with a lighter and something else in hand.

   "Does it have a potent smell?" John asked, propping Esther up slightly against his leg. Philip gave a small nod.

   "I'm pretty sure." Philip thought for a moment. "Tyler always tells me not to smoke at his house when Theodora's there because she'll be able to smell it." John nodded in satisfaction.

   "Ok. Light it, then extinguish it." Philip did as he was told. "Now hold it under her nose." Philip carefully held it to her nose, making sure he didn't accidentally burn her. The scent even reached his nose. It didn't bother him, but it made John crinkle his nose. After a few moments, Esther's eyes flew open. She coughed from the smell and tried to sit up. John held her down so that her towel wouldn't slip off.

   "Hey hey. Calm down. It's just us." John said to her. She looked around.

   "What happened?"