Secret to Life

Right outside of my house, I look at my watch. "Getting in pretty late, aren't you?" My neighbor, Stephanie calls.

"Oh, just started a new job. The night shift," I explain. She's always been very nosey.

"How do you plan on doing school and a night shift?" She begins to water her porch plants. I look at her lively porch and then look at my bare one.

"I'm only a year and a half shy of my doctorate. I'll only be on this job that long," I start to fumble for my keys, wanting out of this conversation. As if my prayers were answered, my phone begins to ring. "Excuse me. Work," I take the call. "Hello?" I answer, pushing my door open.

"Miss. Tifft. Care to explain why one of my Roman miniatures is in the Wild West display? IN A STOCKADE!" Dr. McPhee yells.

"I'm sorry, sir. I have no idea how that happened. I simply watched for potential break-ins. I didn't not mess with the miniatures," I lie.

"Very well. I will see you at closing," and with that, the phone call is over. I make my way into the large, empty house. I take a deep breath and pull off my painful shoes. I look at the white board I have on my wall. Anthropology exam!! 11 AM!!! today's square reads.

"Shit!" I yell. I rush to remove my uniform and grab a new outfit. I run into the bathroom and take the worlds fastest shower. As I brush my teeth, I recite the notes from the past few days. "Believed they originated from the nomadic Xiongnu people who entered the historical record in 318 B.C. and terrorized China during the Qin Dynasty, the Huns moved fast and swiftly on the battlefield and fought in seeming disarray, which confused their foes and kept them on the run," I spit out the toothpaste and rinse. "You got this!" I point to myself in the mirror before pulling my hair up and sighing. I begin to make my way to NYU, reciting facts along the way.

When I reach home, I realize I only have three hours till my shift. Not having time to get sleep, I brew myself a cup of my strongest coffee and make my way to the restroom. I notice the dark circles under my eyes. "I can't go into work like this," I sigh, thinking the old nickname, Dead Girl which evolved into Lady Death, is accurate. My sickly pale skin and light hair cause the purple bags to stand out more. I grab my beauty blender and begin to soak it. Using the lightest possible colors with full coverage, I cover up the imperfections. I put my uniform in the wash and relax, drinking coffee and watching my favorite movie trilogy: Lord of The Rings. I don't get to start the second movie as it's time for me to leave.

When I arrive, I see Rexy running into the next room. "Go crazy, big guy," Larry says as he ties up the controller.

"Good evening, Larry," I say. I place my venti coffee on the counter. "You take the miniatures and the Huns and I take everything else?" I propose.

"That seems a little unfair," he notes.

"No, no. It's fair. I get more because the miniatures and Huns are the hardest to deal with," I explain.

"Yeah, I guess your right," he agrees. We begin doing our rounds. I pass through the Hall of Miniatures as Larry deals with them.

"Listen, Otavus, you gotta stop that," he says. I lightly hit him on the back of the head. "Hey! What was that for?" Larry turns to me.

"It's Octavius, Mary," Octavius corrects, offended. I continue on to lock up the prehistoric exhibit as well as make sure the civil war guys aren't fighting each other.

When I pass by the African Animals, I hear Larry talking to Dexter. "Maybe tomorrow night, I'll bring you a baby diapie so you can go poo-poo in it-" I decide to just ignore that freak show. Realizing my job is done for the next hour, I follow the sounds of screaming. Outside of the Egypt exhibit, I feel a pain in my chest at the sounds of angered screaming. I turn to go in, but I'm cut off by the sounds of trumpeting.