How Did I Get Here?

It's my day off, but I'm still on my way to the museum. I hum to myself as I walk in the cold. My boots crunch the mostly melted snow, leaving vague footprints. With my free hand, I pull out my keys and unlock the door before walking into the warm building. I pull out my phone and check the time. "Seven minutes till sundown," I smile to myself. I set my large purse in the office before walking back out, energy drink in hand.

"You know those aren't healthy for you, right?" Larry asks as I pass him.

"If you've had the academic career of mine, as long as you're awake, its not a problem," I say back, laughing as I open the can. I hop on the counter and patiently wait for sundown to come. I decide to start the music before they come awake.

"I'm going to finish patrolling," Larry says as I hook up the speakers.

"Okie doke," I say as I adjust the volume of the music. I find myself dancing in my seat to Under Pressure by Queen. Soon, I hear commotion. While everyone works their way to the lobby, I click on another Queen song once that one is finished. This one I sing along with. "Each morning I get up I die a little. Can barely stand on my feet. Take a look in the mirror and cry," I close my eyes and just sing. Once everyone is in the lobby, I play more party appropriate music. I laugh as I watch everyone dance and play soccer.

Ahkmenrah walks up to me. "You're not in uniform," he states.

"Day off. Yet, I'm still here," I laugh.

"Well, come dance," he gestures to the room of dancing people.

"No, no. I don't dance," I shake my head. He just laughs and grabs my hand. He drags me out to the middle of the room. He starts dancing in an exaggerated Egyptian style and I just step side to side. He stops and just stares at me, shaking his head.

"That's not dancing," he says.

"It's good enough," I disagree. He abruptly grabs my hand and raises my arm. Without warning, he starts spinning me. He catches me in a dip. "That's dancing," he smiles. I blush wildly. Suddenly, my phone rings. I stand up straight.

"Sorry. I need to take this," I say in a rush. I turn to walk away, but I bump into the desk that was behind me. "Sorry," I turn back to Ahkmenrah and apologies again before rushing off to take the call. "Hello?" I say, stepping outside the building through the side door.

"Hi, this is Dr. Stephanie Monroe calling from the administrations office from Calvin Boarding School for the Advanced. I'm looking for a Miss. Tifft," A lady says through the phone.

"Speaking," I reply.

"Hello, Miss. Tifft. As part of our unique careers course, we hold one seminar a month with speakers who have a unique career and we would love for you to come talk to our students about your career path," she says. I smile, remembering when my dad did the same seminar when I was 7.

"Of course. I would love to come talk to your students," I say with a big smile.

"Okay. We would love to schedule you for the month of February, preferably on the 22nd?" She asks.

"February 22nd is perfect," I state.

"Okay. We look forward to see you. May you have a wonderful night," she says before hanging up.

"Yes!!" I jump in the air and smile. When I come back into the museum, I look up to see Larry looking down at everybody. I decide to make my way up to him. "It's amazing, isn't it?" I laugh, looking down at everyone. I find myself staring at Ahkmenrah as he dances with the biggest smile on his face. He turns to look at me, but I keep my eyes on the Pharaoh.

"Yeah... It is," he chuckles.

"Why don't you go on and have fun?" he gestures to the floor.

"Oh, no. I can't dance," I shake my head. He shoots me an unbelieving look and I look back. "It's like someone shot and octopus with a taser. I can't dance," I say with a straight face. He tries to keep a straight face, but fails when he snickers. I hit him on the back of the head and laugh as well. With a sigh, I look back at the group below us. I think about how I ended up here.