Big Day, Pt 1

I stand outside the courtroom. I adjust my outfit (SC) before walking in. I make my way to my seat. "Please rise," a voice says. I stand up from my seat.

"Please, sit," the judge says, clicking the gavel. "The Tifft custody hearing may begin. Miss Tifft, why do you wish to assume custody over your cousin, Cameron Smith?" The judge asks me.

"Your honor, last month, my aunt, Rebecca Smith, showed up at my door with Cameron. They asked for a place to stay, and being family, I allowed them to stay at the large home left in the family name. Just a week later, Rebecca disappeared. All contact with her has failed. I don't want to see my cousin go into custody of the state. I believe living with me would be a good fit for her," I explain.

"You are currently employed with the Museum of Natural History, correct?"

"Correct. I work as a night guard as well as partner with my coworker, Larry Daley, in running the Night Program."

"It is a nice program. I brought my family there just recently. You just a few months away from earning your PhD. May I ask why you left school?"

"My coworker had left his position and I needed to pick up extra shifts to cover. I plan on returning to school soon."

"How do you plan on working nights and raising a teenager?"

"I would be home in time in the mornings to see her off to school, sleep while she is away, welcome her home and help with school work or any personal matters before leaving for work. On my off days, it would be the same routine, just without leaving for work."

"I see. Do you believe you are prepared to face the challenges raising a teenager will throw at you?"

"I do believe I am quite prepared, your honor."

"Then I do not see as to why you cannot become the legal guardian of Cameron Smith. Court adjourned," he clicks the gavel and we're dismissed.

I pull open the oven and slide in the lasagna. "No, court went great. I plan on giving her the good news tonight," I say through the phone to Larry.

"And we're still good for that study session?" he asks. I remember that it's my off day and I'm watching Nick.

"No, it's fine. Bring him over. I'm making lasagna," I smile to myself.

"Great. I'll bring him by on my way to work," He says. Some would think it was weird to be this good of friends with your coworker, but when you share a secret like we do, it's impossible not to be close.

"Great," I hear the front door open. "I'll see you then, Larry," I hang up. "Cam, sweetie. I have good news!" I smile. She gives me a dirty look and drops her bookbag. "Alright. 'Sweetie' is off limits. Noted," I say, sitting down. I gesture for her to as well. "Court today went great. I know have guardianship over you, so that's good. I know your birthday isn't for another month, but I went ahead and got you something," I slide the gift bag over to her. She eyes me closely before opening it. I see her face light up when she sees the sketch book and huge pack of art supplies.

"How did you-?"

"I accidently saw some of your doodles in your notes as I was cleaning up. Figured an artist should have proper art supplies," I smile. Her face drops.

"You went through my things?" she asks.

"No, I didn't go through your things. They we're sitting out," I explain.

"That's an invasion of privacy!" She stands up.

"Sit back down. I'm not done talking to you," I calmly say.

"You can't tell me to do anything. You're not my mother," she storms off to her room. I sigh and drop my head on the table. I stand up and fix a glass of water. I grab the bag of art supplies and carry it, along with the water, to Cam's room.

"I'm sorry. We have company coming over. Make sure you say hello," I set the glass on her end table and the bag on the foot of the bed. I look at her on her phone. She doesn't respond. I turn and leave the room. I stop in the hallway and admire the pictures of my family. My eyes stop on the one of me with my parents in Egypt. I look at my big smile as I look at the pyramid in the background. My eyes move over to the of me in my kimono, drinking tea with the Orihara's. Suddenly, there's a knock on the door. I snap myself out of my thoughts and make my way to the door.

"My man," I smile to Nick and give him a fist bump. He rushes right into the house and I laugh quietly.

"Again, thank you for this," Larry says.

"Seriously, it's not a big deal. I'll be here at home anyways," I shrug.

"Hey, you know. You should bring Cameron by the museum," he suggests.

"I don't know. I'm having a hard time connecting to her," I press my lips together.

"Maybe, that'll be just the thing you guys need?" He asks.

"Maybe," I agree.

"Well, I need to get going, or I'm gonna be late," he says. I nod and close the door after he leaves.

I look over at the clock on the wall. "Shoot," I say, rushing to the oven.

"Hey, Kamilah? What's for dinner?" Cam asks, walking up behind me. I pull out the lasagna. It hits the stove top with a heavy thud. I look at the burnt mess below me. Nick walks up and starts laughing, causing Cam to laugh as well (They're the same age here).

"What is that?" Nick asks.

"It was supposed to be lasagna," I sigh and turn to the two. "How does pizza sound?" I ask, reaching for the phone.

We all sit around the table and I glance at the clock. "Now, I want to talk about something with the two of you. Nick, I know you are wanting to go on that trip with the Foundation, but where would you like to go?"

"What trip?" Cam asks.

"It's a trip we hold every year where we send ten students around the world to learn about different cultures. My foundation funds it," I explain. Cam sounds interested. "Don't worry, I've opened another 11th spot for you if you want to go."

"I don't know," Nick says, shrugging. "Maybe if we went and talked to people from those places, it could help?" He asks, trying to get me to take him to the museum. I laugh.

"You're just wanting to go to the museum," I call him out.

"Why would you want to go to a place like that?" Cam asks.

"You haven't told her?" Nick asks.

"Told me what?"

"Nick, you know if I TELL her, she won't believe me.

"Tell me what?" Cam gets frustrated. Nick gives me a pleading look.

"Looks like we're taking a trip to the museum tomorrow," I smile.

"Tomorrow?" Nick asks.

"Yes, tomorrow. It's time for you to sleep," I say. "You know where to go," I say to Nick. I watch as he walks up the stairs. I look back at Cam's confused face. "You'll see," I smile to her. I grab one more slice of pizza. "Now, head on to bed. Big day tomorrow," I smile and stand to wash my hands. She walks off to her room. "Big day," I sigh.