La Vie Boheme

I sit in my cold room. The fan blows on my bare legs as sit in front of the tv. My uniform shirt rubs against my legs as I apply my light makeup. I occasionally eat a bite of pizza or take a sip of my water. Once done, I tie my tie and search for my pants in the dryer. As I button my pants and clasp my belt, I hum to myself. I start humming La Vie Boheme, from rent, to myself. I walk out of the door, playing music through my headphones. When I reach work, I search the halls before locking everything up. I sigh when I see the new holograms. I watch my timepiece, growing very suspicious when time flies and no one wakes up. "The Tablet was supposed to stay here," I mumble to myself. I stand out of my seat and begin to step away from the desk when the phone rings. "American Museum of Natural History. I apologize, but we are currently closed. You are welcome to call back during regular-" I'm cut off by a familiar voice.

"Kamilah! It's me, Jed! We're in a bit of a situation here! It's Kahmunrah!" He yells out.

"Jed! How are you alive?! Kahmunrah?!" I ask.

"The monkey stole the tablet!" he yells.

"Okay, call Larry. We'll both be there! Just hang in there. Larry's number is," I then repeat his number to Jed and I hang up. I begin to run to the Egypt exhibit. I notice the lack of gold on the wall behind Ahkmenrah's sarcophagus. I swiftly scroll through my contacts and make a call. "Hi, yes. This is Kamilah Tifft. I need an unscheduled flight. New York to DC," I state.

"Alright then, Miss. Tifft. We'll have you in the air in no time," a kind voice says.

"I also have a guest!" I blurt out, almost forgetting.

"Okay. That's two from New York to Washington DC. We hope you enjoy your flight," the voice says. I hang up the phone and turn to the beautiful coffin. "Ahk. It's your brother, Kahmunrah. Dexter took your tablet, though I'm sure you know. You're about to meet a friend of mine, but don't worry. She'll take great care of you," I lightly press my fingers against the gold before dialing another number. "Yes, Angela? I need a favor from you," I say.

"As your personal assistant, it is my job to do favors for you," I can tell she's smiling. "Though, after not hearing from you in two months, this is quite a surprise," she sounds stressed.

"I'll give you a bonus. Just run by my place, I need business casual, smart causal, regular casual, and business formal. Grab my to-go makeup kit and my ID. I need my travel case and two mobile chargers. I then need you to grab my portfolio, it's on the bookshelf in the study. Throw this all in a suitcase and meet me at my place of work," I say.

"Alright, I am on my way," she says and I hang up. When she arrives, I usher her into the security room.

"You're going to cover for me. This is a factor that played into your hiring. I needed someone my size. Here," I remove my uniform and hand it to her. I then get dressed in my casual outfit (Labeled C). She just stares at me. "It's simple. Just keep the doors locked," I shake my head, explaining. "It's a dead zone out there, trust me," I say. She finally gets dressed in the uniform. I walk out of the room. I place my hand on Teddy's knee. "I'll be back soon, Teddy," I sigh before rushing out of the door. I hail down a cab and put on a little more makeup in the car. When I get to the airport, I track down Larry as I he walks on the phone.

"Yes, I have no plan," he says.

"But I do," I lock my arm into Larry's.

"I'll call you when I'm in," he hangs up.

"Okay, so I called in a flight with my company and we're going to that terminal right over there," I point to the private terminal my family owns.

"Wait, your company?-" he asks, but I cut him off.