Big Surprise

The next few words out of his mouth would change everything. "Ahkmenrah..." I feel my phone start to vibrate in my pocket. I wonder what the call is about. Thankfully, I have the ringer turned off. "There is a way for you to become human again," Merenkahre says. I freeze.

"Wait, father. What do you mean?" Ahk asks. He grabs my hand and I just stare at the two, confused.

Shepseheret decides to speak up. "You can be human again. It was something we had added, just in case a situation like this happened," she looks at me.

"I don't... I don't understand," I shake my head in confusion.

"You actually mean that...?" Ahk says, squeezing my hand. I finally look at him and let out a small, breathy laugh. "I could really... We could really...?" He asks, furrowing his brows at me.

"It would take some time, yes. But it is possible," Merenkahre nods. I cannot take my eyes off the man I love. I just smile uncontrollably.

"How soon?" Ahk asks, putting his hand on my cheek.

"Son, these things take time," Shepseheret says. I stand up abruptly. I pull the two into a very tight hug.

"Thank you. Thank you," I laugh, almost crying. The two laugh at me then put their arms around me. Ahk joins in the hug. "I just... I can't believe it," I shake my head.

"May we speak with our son privately for a moment?" Shepseheret says after we all hug.

"Of course," I nod and step away from the three. I use this time to check my phone. I have 7 missed calls from Cam. I dial her number back. "Cam, sorry I missed-"

"Kamilah. There's been an accident. I'm at the police station. I'm not hurt, well my ankle is hurt, but someone else is hurt worse. I need you to come pick me up. I don't have any money for a cab and I cant walk in the shape my ankle is in," She explains calmly.

"Okay, I'll be there as soon as possible," I sigh.

"Thank you. I love you, bye," Cam says.

"Love you too, Cam," we both hang up. A voice speaks up from behind me.

"Is everything alright?" Shepseheret asks.

I turn to her and slide my phone in my pocket. "Yes, everything is fine. That was my cousin, Cam. She had an accident," I press my lips together.

"Is she alright?"

"Yeah, no. She's fine. She hurt her ankle, but she's fine. Actually, I know this is horrible timing, but would it be okay if I went to pick her up? She's with the police," I ask.

"No, that quite alright. You go do what you need to," She smiles at me.

I pull her into a hug. "Thank you," I smile.

I step out of the cab. "Wait here. I'll be right out," I instruct the driver. He nods and I make my way to the building. Once inside, Cam rushes up to me. "What happened?" I ask.

"I was sitting at the stop light and some guy turned into my lane. Collided with the front of the car," She calmly says. "The cops say he was drunk," She shakes her head. "I just wanna get home," she sighs.

"Alright, I'll see what I can do," I pat her arm and step away. "Hi, My name is Kamilah Tifft. I'm the legal guardian of Cameron Smith. Am I allowed to take her home now?" I ask the nearest officer.

"Yes, that'll be fine. I just finished filing the paperwork. She is a very strong young lady. She did what she was supposed to do. I suspect you'll be hearing from the insurance company very soon," The officer says.

"Thank you," I walk Cam out of the building and set her in the cab. "You head on home. My place, not yours. I don't want you trying to go up those apartment stairs with you ankle. Here's my keys to the house and plenty of money to cover the cab. I need to get back to work. I have some big news, but you need to rest," I say to her then close the door. She nods at me and cab drives off. I begin my 15 minute walk back to work. When I walk through the doors, Steve confronts me.

"Where'd you run off to?" He asks.

"Family emergency. I'm back now. Count it as my hour break if you need to," I throw my hand up at him and walk back to the security room to drop off my coat and scarf. When I step back out, I fully scan the room. I see Ahkmenrah dancing behind the DJ booth. A smile instantly cover my face and make my across the room. Someone's hand grabs mine and begins spinning me. Attila catches me and smiles. He then begins to continue dancing. I laugh with a huge smile and he rushes off to dance with someone else. I continue on my way to Ahk. He notices me and points at me. I point back with a grin. He points down to the turntable and I watch as Jed and Octavius dance on it. I finally reach the booth. "Doing great, guys," I smile at my small friends. I grab Ahk's hand and he spins me in a similar way Attila did. When I stop spinning, I place my hands on his chest and he looks down at me. He presses his lips into me. We both smile into the kiss.

"All right, you two Lovebirds," Octavius says with a smile.

"Ah, jeez, let them have their moment," Jed argues. I laugh and pull apart from the kiss. I place my hands on his sides. My thumb starts tracing a small circle and we gaze into each other's eyes. I laugh and look to the side.

"You're beautiful," he whispers into my ear. I feel his warm breath tickle my neck.

"Ah, shut it," I laugh, gently pushing him. I keep thinking about what his parents said.

"I can't wait to spend more than nights together," he presses his forehead against mine. I sigh and smile.

"I can't wait either," I say, closing my eyes. And I wouldn't have to wait too long.