Chapter 2

Getting rid of the strange thoughts bubbling in her head, Hermione finally dragged herself out of bed and headed over to her wardrobe to begin getting ready. Tonight, she would be having dinner with her in-laws, as was a very common occurrence. Nowadays, her in-laws only really included Ginny and Molly - Hermione couldn't completely place at what point the family began to dwindle, she just knew she never saw them as often as she'd like.

Looking through her wardrobe she could see that she didn't have much variation to choose from. Most of her clothes were bought by her mother-in-law and Molly's taste in clothing wasn't very varied. Hermione looked through the robes of violent pinks and purples, colours she had always loathed until she found the least hideous one. Covered in raggedy ruffles and frills, wearing it made her feel sickly and she had a nagging feeling that led her to retrieve her wand and redesign the awful garment, something she had never before considered doing.

When her eyes looked back into the mirror she saw an emerald green dress spotted with red flowers and a clip in her hair resembling a phoenix. 'Much better' she thought and she headed down to the kitchen.

She, however, never made it to the kitchen as she heard a thud in the living room and rushed in to see what had happened. A large old owl was lying on the floor; Hermione went over to help it noticing a parcel with a note attached to the horned owl's foot. As soon as she detached the package, the owl sprang up and flew out of the open window. Hermione looked at the note and wasn't at all shocked to see it was addressed to Ron. She never received mail – or if she did Ron took it first and she always let him. Why did she do that? She was questioning more and more her choice in lifestyle – was her love for him really a valid excuse? Her love seemed to feel more like an obsession. Today her curiosity got the better of her and Hermione opened the letter.

To my Ronnie,

I can't wait to see you again. You've spent so long away; we need to be together again. I can't bear this separation. When are you going to ditch Hermione? You already told me you love me and not her. If that's true then you need to prove it. I always hated her so I don't care how you get rid of her. Just do it! Then you and I can be together, can't we?

I don't see why you've kept her for so long. I get that it was part of your plan but really? It's worked now. She can keep the brats and we can start our own family – just you and me.

Just in case you need more time though, I have left another bottle of Dominus Autemea however it's only enough for one month. I'm sure Ginny and your mother are well-stocked if you need some more.

Yours forever and ever

Lavender x

Hermione's vision began to blur as tears pricked her eyes. What had she just read? A love letter? From Lavender? Lavender. Hermione remembered her of course. Ron's first proper love interest. Apparently his current love interest. Dominus Autemea. Hermione recognised the name, but couldn't place where she had heard it. Slowly she opened the package and found a large bottle filled with a magenta liquid with milk blue swirls. What was this drink she had been consuming for the past 20 years? Why had Ron been feeding it to her? Why would Ginny and Molly have a supply of it themselves?

Slowly something dawned on her. Hermione could no longer trust anyone she knew. She would run, but first, she needed to know what Ron had been feeding her.

She headed upstairs and looked through her extensive book collection. It was her escape from her numb, forgetful self that had developed over the course of her married life. Ron had allowed her to have books, it kept her busy when she had nothing else to do. She fingered through the "P" section finding only a 6th-year book on potions. Of course, she wouldn't be allowed to keep books on potions, she probably could have figured Ron out a lot sooner.