Chapter 19

To clear some stuff up, Hermione summoned Quirell's turban, because of this Voldemort realised that he had been exposed. He was on the back of Quirell's head so knew that a large amount of ministry officials were there and decided to abandon Quirell's body; essentially it's what he does in the books originally except this time Harry isn't just burning his face off! Also, decided to make Fudge a little more competent, he's Minister of Magic for a reason, he should know how to take control. This chapter is on the same evening that Quirell was revealed.

"That was risky," Hermione let out a breath she didn't realise she was holding. She and Harry had just entered the common room with the rest of their house.

"Really risky," Harry's grin was huge, confusing Hermione. 

"What's the joke?"

"No joke, think it's just the adrenaline, it was risky, but it worked!" He laughed a little and watched with Hermione as students began to pile in, some confused, others worried; according to them a professor had just collapsed into a screaming mess and rather than helping him, everyone had turned on him instead.

"Sorry I didn't include you in the plan," Harry turned to Hermione after a while. It was clear no one would come to enforce a bedtime and after watching a Professor fall, to what the majority of students had correctly assumed was his death, it was likely classes and exams would be cancelled after this point. Hermione turned to him confused.

"Harry, you took initiative. There wasn't any time to check with me that it was a good plan and I trust you. You should trust yourself. So far, this has gone great. If something comes up, we'll work it out. The only thing you actually need my help for is figuring out that watch." She poked at his wrist with a smirk. Harry's watch had been sitting there since Christmas. He still hadn't figured out what it could do other than tell the time and he was still stubbornly refusing to let Hermione just tell him. According to Hermione though, this was a good sign. He didn't know what that meant. Though he couldn't admit that.

"I'll figure it out by myself, don't you worry," Harry smiled as he began poking at it for the millionth time, no closer to actually figuring it out.

—————————————————————

Pettigrew was sleeping in Pomfrey's medical wing. She had done a quick test of his overall health. As it turns out, living as a rat and surviving off of leftovers and pet food isn't good for bodily growth. Pettigrew was very short, nearly bald: what little hair he had left on his head was scraggly and unkempt. Before Madam Pomfrey had given him an incredibly thorough scrub, he had been grubby, covered in small dirt marks and minor scratches. His clothes, before he had been changed into simple hospital pyjamas, were torn and ancient, clearly not changed in many years. When he had first been released from McGonagall's stunner, he immediately noticed the horde of Ministry officials around him and attempted to run, before once again being petrified and brought over to Pomfrey. He continued to sleep, unaware of the guest by his bed.

Harry had come to visit.

—————————————————————

Hermione sat with Lavender and Parvati, both of whom were very concerned for Quirrell's predicament.

"Did you see his face?" Lavendar began, "He went deathly pale."

"And that awful, awful screaming, it was terrifying.."

"And the way he just collapsed, like..like he was.."

"Like he had died?" Hermione asked, giving up attempts of acting worried but both girls still nodded solemnly.

Similarly, other groups of students were having similar conversations about the transpiring events in the Great Hall; "Why were they pointing wands at him?..... Was it something in the food?..... Could he have been cursed?.... Why didn't they just take him to the hospital wing? Why did we have to leave and not him?"

"God, Hermione," Lavender said suddenly, "this must be absolutely awful for you." Parvarti nodded in sad agreement.

"Really?" Hermione asked rather confused, "Why would it be awful for me specifically?"

"Well, everyone knows how much you love the professors, Hermione, you're practically every teacher's golden child," Parvarti said looking pitifully at Hermione.

"Oh, he'll probably be fine though Hermione," Lavender said, attempting to add some comfort in.

"Yeah, yeah you're right," Hermione said, faking mustering a smile, she began to get up, "I think I'm going to head to bed, it's been a long day." Lavendar and Parvarti nodded in pity and naivety, as Hermione turned and began to smile as she walked up to bed.

The more she thought about Lavender, the less resentment she held towards her. Thinking about her breakup with Ron in the last timeline, that probably was devastating to any teen girl in her first relationship. The first guy you ever love saying another woman's name when he desperately needs help? Who wouldn't get upset? And the way he just ignored her in the aftermath probably devastated her. The next couple of years had been focused on Voldemort, and while that was definitely more important than some teen drama, her emotional security must have taken a major hit. When Ron began showing her attention again later, she probably jumped at the chance to win something over Hermione. Hermione wasn't excusing adult Lavender from anything she'd done - she should've found a way to get over it rather than messing around with a married man and condemning his wife to a life of numbness and misery. But Child Lavender was different. A little flighty for Hermione's taste but she was only 11 and clearly not a bad person. Changing the timeline would change her, and maybe they could be genuine friends one day. It wasn't too late for her.

————————————————

Mr and Mrs Weasley were sat at home. Arthur was glancing at a newspaper while Molly stood at the kitchen window stirring a mug of tea that she had no intention of drinking. She normally spent most of her time in the house but being forcefully restricted to it? Well that made her feel trapped, and she hated it. She had zero control over the situation and it wasn't fair. All because they had found some stupid rat 11 years ago and Percy had decided that's what he wanted as a pet.

Arthur had barely noticed the difference, glancing up every now and again to check on his wife before giving her a smile and barely skim-reading his paper. He, like usual, was feeling rather tired, so he folded the paper and headed over to his wife. He gave her a gentle kiss on her forehead, missing her eyes roll, and headed up for bed. He'd had a very big day.

Ginny had remained in her room all day. Initially excited to see what news her mother had brought back from Hogwarts, she'd bounded down the stairs only to see Aurors sitting in the kitchen with her parents talking about some arrests. She'd remained spying, waiting for them to leave, but when they exited the front door, they simply stayed around the outside of the house. She could feel her mother's anger from the other room. Clearly, now was not the time to be interrupting her mother's brooding. Whatever was going on, Ginny really hoped it wouldn't affect her summer plans. As far as she was aware, Harry was coming to the Burrow.

—————————————

Peter finally began to stir. As he awoke he was much calmer and aware of his current position. He looked at the chair next to him and noticed Harry, sitting calmly, staring at him intently. "H-Harry! It's been so long, I last saw you when you were a baby, you wouldn't remember of course, it's so good to see you.." he began blathering, words tumbling out of his mouth as he showered Harry with lies of a life lived well. Harry held up his hand and Peter stopped.

"I know what you did." Peter's face paled. If the boy knew, the Wizarding World knew. Peter's hands began wringing themselves as he felt the room get hotter and he realised that this could be one of his last few moments, still, trying to call Harry's bluff, he asked "What did I do, boy?"

"You were the secret keeper," Harry spat, "I don't care about what happens to you now. All I want is for you to experience what my god-father has had to endure for the past 11 years. I hear Azkaban is particularly chilly during this season; you might want to bring an extra coat to your trial." Harry didn't allow an answer, petrifying Peter once again and leaving, returning to his dorm and falling onto his bed, satisfied that he had given the rat at least a little jolt.

03/08/2023 - This chapter was awfulll before, I genuinely don't know how so many of you used to actually read what I wrote T.T Thankfully though I think I've majorly improved it and I'm excited to get to the end of the book again :) Vote and comment letting me know what you think!