Chapter 3

''Who are you and what are you doing here?'' the man asked Hermione. His voice was steady.  If he was surprised by her arrival he was very good at not showing it.

The room she was in she found to be rather magnificent. There was a red and gold carpet and magnolia walls. A four-poster bed against one wall and a grand wardrobe opposite it. The windows were large and ornate curtains draped around them. There were two wooden doors that clearly led into the hallway and one smaller white door that led to an en suite. Hermione was rather taken aback by the very luxurious room, especially by its contrast to the one she shared with Ronald in her own home.

''Well?'' the man said his wand still pointing at her, his hand steady and clearly experienced.

''Sorry,'' she began, '' it's the first time I've apparated in a while. I was aiming for a friend's house but I guess I won't be able to get there if this is how downhill my skills have gone. Besides it was a long shot. My husband told me he had died, but I was just hoping he was lying, and honestly, I don't know how I even would've made it to him. I mean who's ever heard of apparating to a person rather than a place and - " she stopped herself realising she was rambling. She looked towards the floor, incredibly embarrassed by the situation.

''You never answered the first part of my question. Who are you?'' Hermione took in his appearance. Raven black hair, emerald green eyes, and as he lowered his wand and began to relax he had a contemplative look about him, almost as if he was taking her in.

''Hermione. Hermione Jean Weasley.''

"Well then, Mrs Weasley, let's head to my office," he said, taking pity, she supposed, on the woman who had accidentally arrived in his abode.

--------------------

Now, considerably calmer, and sitting in a rather grand office, Hermione realised something, the man sitting opposite her had offered no introduction of his own.

''I'm sorry but you've come at a rather awkward time. You see, I'm about to leave this house, permanently. Were you planning on asking this friend for a place to stay?" Hermione nodded, staring rather intensely at the strange man, "Well, you can stay here. The property is still mine, but considering I won't be here in less than five minutes, it's yours. I would give you a tour but I really must be going," he said hurriedly near-running out of the room.

"Harry?" he stopped. He had been hoping to get away with it. To run out and escape and not disappoint her again. He knew she didn't like him. She hadn't returned a single letter or phone call or any communication that he'd attempted to her in 15 years. Then there was the fact that after Ron had tried to sell him out to some deranged Death Eaters, those who still felt Voldemort was out there or merely despised him for defeating the Dark Lord all those years ago. Even then, she hadn't once contacted him again. He'd disappeared after that, trusting no one, especially not anyone from the Wizarding World. A memorial had been held for the Boy-Who-Lived , somewhat ironically. He'd been in attendance, a hooded figure in the background, very much aware that Hermione had not attended. It didn't matter anyway now. He was leaving. He was going to do things properly this time.

"Hermione," he replied. "Why are you here?"

"Harry..." she stumbled over her words unsure of where to start. "What does Dominus Autemea mean to you? I have my suspicions but I'd like to check with you."

"To me? It means Ginny," he paused, preparing himself to continue. ''By definition, however, Dominus is master in Latin and autemea from animae. Reminds me of a phrase in Latin: Dominus animae meae or Master of my soul. And that is exactly what that kind of potion would be for. Creating a slave. Someone who becomes obsessed with you and would never question your commands. They would be completely yours, and they wouldn't even be happy about it. Just numb to everything and addicted to you." 

Hermione could see the hurt, the pain, the grief in his eyes as he spoke. Finally, she realised the importance of what he had said. She had never loved Ronald. Or at the very least, she'd had a crush on him as a student that she certainly would've grown out of. They argued constantly. He was awful to her and rarely showed her any appreciation. How could she want to be with someone like that? She mulled Harry's words over and over again in her head, so caught up in her own situation that for a moment, she didn't notice his initial description.

"Ginny? I'm so sorry Harry. I know you did like her sincerely at one point, I can't imagine what finding out something like that would be like."

"Couldn't you?"

She paused, realising she did know what he was going through. She was going through it herself, though, she supposed, she was still coming off the effects of the potion - it was likely her grief would only grow. The silence that followed was oddly comfortable. The two of them sat opposite each other, deep in thought.

Hermione broke the silence first. ''Where are we, Harry?"

"Potter Manor. We're in Wales"

"Oh..." Another pause. 

"Was it me?" She looked up at him, confused for a moment. "Were you trying to find me?"

"Yes, I was."

"It took you a while I suppose, but considering the circumstances, I guess I can forgive you," he said with a small smile. His smile faltered, "You thought I was dead..."

"Ron told me. I guess I just believed him." Harry wasn't surprised. Being wholly addicted to someone like that, believing in them was nothing; once upon a time, he'd have gladly killed for Ginny.

"Harry, you said you were leaving. Where for?" He was clearly hesitant. "Please tell me. You aren't the only one who needs to get away."

Harry remained silent for a while. Clearly deliberating whether or not to let her know. If he was truly going to be able to do it properly this time, he could need someone who knew what he was talking about. It would be nice to have some company. She looked just as desperate as he remembered himself to be.

"Hermione." He took a deep breath, "I'm going back. Back to before all of this. Back to our first year on the Hogwarts Express. I need to do things properly this time. I lost too many people, Sirius, Remus, Neville, Luna and you, even if you weren't dead. I wouldn't mind you coming, but Hermione you would have to remember, coming would mean losing everything here. Travelling back in time might mean that half of the life you've built up here might just disappear. I can't ask you to leave all that behind for me."

"Of course, you can't." His heart pained for a moment, he knew it would be asking too much of her but still, he had hoped... "Because I'm coming either way." Harry's eyes lit up, he grabbed her hand and pulled her out of the room and down a flight of stairs. Having her with him, it was the lightest he'd felt in years...

They were now in a darkly lit room, all that was inside was a black long box with only a small handle on the side. Harry stopped and let go of Hermione's hand. He opened the door and stepped back to where Hermione was. She peered inside. It was rather small, she doubted it would be able to handle them both unless they really squeezed against each other and even then she thought the box would break...

"Best to go at it with a run" Before she could ask what it meant he ran straight through the box and disappeared.

"Harry?" No reply. She looped around the box, looking for some sign of what to expect. With no sign of what came next, she mustered up some of that Gryffindor courage that had failed her so often in the past and she ran through. She found herself blinded, her vision was completely clouded by smoke.

21/02/2022 - Changed some more stuff up - especially the writing about Harry and Hermione's first interaction in years. The old version felt really stale in how I wrote it T-T

I think this is much better :)