Chapter 5

As Harry and Hermione walked with the rest of their year-mates into the Great Hall, they were once again in awe at the place they had met so many of their friends, made so many happy memories, and the last place they could honestly remember considering home. Finally, the group stopped and the sorting commenced.

When Hermione's name was called she was a lot less nervous than her first time around. She sat in front of the school and the Hat was placed on her head.

Welcome back, Mrs. Weasley.

Hermione flinched. 'Please don't call me that, I am Hermione Granger and that is how I would like you to refer to me.'

As you wish. Gryffindor again then is it?

'If you could.'

Easily. GRYFFINDOR!

Cheers came from the Gryffindor table and she went to be seated. After a while, it was Harry's turn. It seemed to take ages for the sorting to take place for Harry, longer than last time. If the sorting hat was able to recognise her, why wasn't it recognising him? And if it was, why was it taking so long?

Finally, the hat again roared GRYFFINDOR! And chants of ''WE GOT POTTER!'' coming from the Gryffindor table exploded across the Great Hall. The seats next to Hermione were taken, so Harry sat opposite her. Seeing her confusion, he mouthed a silent 'Later'. 

When the Sorting was finally over, they once again listened to Dumbledore's lecture about Death lingering around the 3rd-floor corridor. Hermione had her breath taken away. It seemed in her entire life, her love and appreciation of authority figures had never faltered. However, when she turned to look at Harry he had a scowl on his face and was looking at the headmaster with - well there was only one word for it - disgust. She'd have to ask him about it later. Clearly, he knew something about the headmaster that she didn't, but judging by the frown on his face, she was hoping he was wrong about it.

Eventually, they were excused from dinner and followed Percy up to their dorms. It had been a long day for both Harry and Hermione, so any questions Hermione had for Harry she decided to put off until the next day.

The next day, their first lesson was Transfiguration. This time Harry was with Hermione as one of the first into the lesson. They sat in the front row of the classroom next to each other and Harry began explaining how much magic they had retained. "After you summoned Neville's toad on the train, I think it was fair to say we've kept most of our magical ability since before..." Talking about being essentially drugged for the better part of 20 years was still a touchy subject for the two - it was a struggle to talk about, even with each other. Hermione held his hand with a sad smile, "I know, and even if we didn't, I'm sure at least knowing the theory of magic would help us through quite a bit."

The lesson began, and this time Harry got to witness McGonagall transforming before Ronald arrived last once again. He looked over to the seat next to Harry and was clearly annoyed to see it occupied by someone else, namely Hermione. Still, in an attempt to get close to The-Boy-Who-Lived, he said, haughtily "Imagine McGonagall's face if she saw how late I was!" He began to laugh but stopped abruptly as the cat on the desk at the front of the classroom became the very professor he was talking about.

"Mr Weasley, I very much doubt you'll have to imagine anything. Why are you so late? Perhaps I should transfigure you into a pocket watch?" A few sniggers were heard around the class.

"I got lost professor," he said timidly, all previous haughtiness lost.

"Well, a map then Mr. Weasley. Please take a seat."

After receiving their matches, only Harry and Hermione managed to turn them into needles. Most others managed to at least turn their match silver. Neville Longbottom was not among them. Snickering could be heard coming from Draco, Crabbe and Goyle. Already finished with his own, Harry went over to help Neville. By the end of the lesson, Neville's match was more of a needle than anyone else's.