8. prevail

"You're leaving? Why?" You ask confused. It was after a lecture and you were in the schools library with Mac like usual to study, but studying was not what was being done.

"I want to make a difference in the world somehow and not be in a lab all day I guess," Young MacGyver says nervously while staring at you.

"But the military? Angus, you're one of the most talented students here you would be the one to actually change the world with some scientific breakthrough," you argue still trying to keep your voices down. You were the closest to Mac more than anyone he was your friend and was about to leave on some life chase to find meaning.

"Angus, please. You don't even look like a military type of guy. You'll get hurt."

Mac's eyes also showed signs of sadness as well but knew well that this was his final and only decision.
"I promise I'll come back. By the time you finish University my term will be over," Mac says grabbing your hands and holding them across the table. You knew this was serious from this gesture and loosened your expression.

"I can't stop you but I don't want to lose you," you say coming to terms with his decision. "We can still keep in touch. Though I don't think to send a 90-page essay for me to proofread won't work," MacGyver chuckles. You slightly smiled knowing Mac he'll be cautious.

"We'll send letters, every week I will. Updating you on everything that happens as if you were still here," you say confidently. You both agreed to send letters while apart. This was truly a special friendship that you didn't want to lose over distance. You'd had thought Mac would've had some time until he's off to training, but within a few days, he was boarding a plane, leaving. You remember that day as being one of the saddest. You were left sitting alone in the library to study and proofreading your own 90 pages essays yourself. But within the first week, you began to write.

-.

Your head was pounding it was painful to wake up to along with the stinging from coming from your arm. You were slowly able to crack open your eyes slightly through the pulsating headache made it nearly impossible to. Your eyes scanned over the room seeing it empty.

You wondered who brought you here? Most likely a bystander in their car. You don't remember much most of it being a blur or fragments of just walking endlessly.

A nurse had come in and given you morphine for the headache, which helped greatly.
"How are you feeling? You were sleeping for almost an entire day," the nurse asks typing on her computer.

"Other than the headache I think I'm fine," you say on a soft voice. "Who brought me in here?"
"Erm they didn't sign off on anything but it was two men, one brown hair the other blonde they were here a few hours ago," the nurse says before exiting.

You knew exactly who it was. Mac and Jack. How'd they come upon you, had no idea? After another hour of observation from the nurses, you were freed to go, under the condition that you were to drink plenty of water.

You headed to your apartment to rest more. Though you couldn't get your mind off your terrible decisions and what you would be doing to move past this. You didn't know what to do still. It was like you had lost everyone, including yourself.

-.

In the past few months, the letters had gotten less and less. Mac was getting deployed, no more training. It was time for the real stuff. You were worried and voiced that in many of your letters. Though you are assured in every letter that he'd come back in one piece.

On the other side of the world there sat MacGyver on the small bed he was assigned opening up another letter to which read "I was cleaning out my dorm and found these, first a picture of both of us sitting at our usual library seat. Both of us too concentrated on studying we didn't even realize Maverick taking a photo. Another when we were at the top of our class with the science project. Thought you'd want these as a token of good luck. Please be safe out there, and come back soon! It's getting expensive buying all these stamps! Anyways I miss you, I wish you the best of luck out there -Y/n L/n"